By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Turn off autocorrect

SOLVED
Go to solution
Novel Tourist

I recently downloaded a newer version of skype (6.5 ish) and it keeps autocorrecting my words. I absolutely hate this feature in every format it comes in, and I want to disable it. It is definitely skype doing this, not a third party sort of thing, because it only happens in skype and it didn't do it before I downloaded the newer version.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Former Staff

Please untick options in Skype by going to menu: Edit > Spelling and Grammar:
"Check Spelling While Typing" and "Correct Spelling Automatically".

77 Replies
Novel Adventurer
Exactly! I hate this too! Please give an option to disable it!
Former Staff

Novel Tourist

Thank you so much! I was looking for it in preferences. This was extremely helpful.

Casual Tourist

When you go to the "edit" pull-down, if the spelling features are greyed out, put your cursor in the SMS field as though you were about to send someone a nice chat. Then the "edit" pull down will become active and you can unclick those loathsome features.

Casual Tourist

OMG thank you. This was reallllllllly annoying me. 

How to find Skye regular every time I'm sign in why it blank color blue full screen or ACCOUNTB_TO_USE or ACCOUNT:TO_ERROR
Novel Tourist

As a multilingual user of devices this is a feature that always ticks me off. Switching between my native language (Norwegian) and my working language (English) is something I do every day. Devices or interfaces that force spell-checking shouldn't exist, the Skype team should consider notifying the user the first couple of times this is done, and providing a simple (and permanent) op-out.

To any other interface designer, if you're considering implementing this sort of feature in your application, please consider making it opt-in instead. Thank you.

Community Manager Emeritus

App-wide autocorrect is actually a feature shipped from MacOS. You might consider disabling it in your system settings.

Found a helpful message? Give it a Kudo below to say "thanks"
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Casual Tourist

MisterB wrote:

Where is edit? I dont see it on my menu.