By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype conversation volume options removed from version 7.25 (356)

Sorry for not replying again. Not a staff Mod myself but the topic is active, and has been escalated for further consideration.

Los Moderadores no contestamos a mensajes privados no solicitados.
¿Problemas urgentes? Contacta con el soporte de Skype desde aquí

upgrade
Flag for a Moderator
Message 51 of 177
Novel Adventurer
Awesome, thanks for the link. Won't be updating skype anymore.
Flag for a Moderator
Message 52 of 177
Highlighted
Community Manager Emeritus

Downgrading to an older version of Skype for Mac does not give you back volume controls in every call as the changes we have done is a combination of server and client side changes. That's also the reason why it's not an easy switch to restore the previous volume control behaviour.

The most recent Skype 7.27 for Mac actually ensured the microphone automatic gain control is behaving correctly in all calls again now, so downgrading to an older version will result in worse audio quality.

For the speaker volume controls we are still working out how to address this for the scenarios where OSX global speaker volume controls are not the answer.

Thanks for your feedback so far here on the Skype Community that helped our team identify some of these scenarios.

Found a helpful message? Give it a Kudo below to say "thanks"
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Flag for a Moderator
Message 53 of 177
Casual Adventurer

I have been using Skype for my podcast for years. It's always been fine. However, yesterday I was testing volume levels before a podcast interview, and could not find the volume control on Skype. The resulting test call  audio was clipped and hot. No matter what I did with my volume control on my Mac, the volume coming through Skype was unbearably loud. I had to cancel an interview with someone. And consequently, have no way to modulate Rhw volume of Skype calls. Help!!

Flag for a Moderator
Message 54 of 177
Casual Adventurer

Hi Claudius, 

Please. give us volume control- my audio levels on my Mac were blown out and not usable. I love Skype and want to continue using it. 

Thank you!

Flag for a Moderator
Message 55 of 177
Casual Adventurer
Claudius wrote:

Downgrading to an older version of Skype for Mac does not give you back volume controls in every call as the changes we have done is a combination of server and client side changes. That's also the reason why it's not an easy switch to restore the previous volume control behaviour.

The most recent Skype 7.27 for Mac actually ensured the microphone automatic gain control is behaving correctly in all calls again now, so downgrading to an older version will result in worse audio quality.

For the speaker volume controls we are still working out how to address this for the scenarios where OSX global speaker volume controls are not the answer.

Thanks for your feedback so far here on the Skype Community that helped our team identify some of these scenarios.

Thanks for the update! Still kind of mad about this, but I'll be patient for a better compromise. Could you also ask about other skype controls on mac too? They don't seem to be working either.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 56 of 177
Casual Adventurer

I'm not sure how I will be able to continue using Skype for my podcast. The audio levels of my guests are so clipped and hot that they are unusable. Please somehow fix this. Thanks!!

Flag for a Moderator
Message 57 of 177
Reliable Adventurer

Podcaster7 wrote:

I'm not sure how I will be able to continue using Skype for my podcast. The audio levels of my guests are so clipped and hot that they are unusable. Please somehow fix this. Thanks!!

There may be free programs that do what the programs that I use.  My suggestion is, if you wish to continue using Skype, either downgrade to the version that had the volume controls, or add additional software that will allow you to route the audio into a music program therefore controlling the output of Skype.  Just because it cost me a pretty penny doesn't mean that's the only possibilities out there.  I just went with what I went with because I trust the software makers, and felt that it was worth taking the chance on their software.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 58 of 177
Casual Adventurer
Thank you. Would a mixer help?
Flag for a Moderator
Message 59 of 177
Casual Adventurer

Claudius wrote:

Claudius, 

Good morning mate, thanks for the update.  Hopefully, volume control will be brought back to the software.  It's too bad, that there is not some type of survey taken explaining proposed changes, so the general using public such as ourselves know of system parts that will be removed.  What may seem like not a big deal, could possibly be a deal breaker for some, or in this case many users.  

Have a great day!!

Cheers

K Dunlop
Flag for a Moderator
Message 60 of 177