By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Constant dropped calls

Novel Adventurer

In the past few months I've been having calls drop just about every few minutes. Using Skpe 5.4.0.1217. Using my MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.8 or iPad IOS 5.0.1, either wired in or wireless, video or not, it doesn't make any difference, calls keep dropping. High speed broadband, nothing wrong with my internet service as far as my ISP says, and they checked thoroughly. All my software is up to date. People I talk to don't seem to have the same problem using Skype with other people. Please advise.

• Mac
Flag for a Moderator
Message 1 of 90
89 Replies
Novel Tourist

I am having the same problem. The issue seems to be magnified when talking to certain users. For instance, no problem when talking to my brother but constant issues when talking to my parents.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 2 of 90
Novel Tourist

This has happened to me as well. My Skype has been working perfectly for years, and last week I decided to download the newest version (Before then I had been using something really old - like 2.4...). Since then I haven't been able to hold a call for over a minute without it saying 'connection lost', but my internet and computer are 100% fine otherwise. Does anybody have a solution to this?

Flag for a Moderator
Message 3 of 90
Casual Adventurer

Hi, I'm having the same problem. No dropped calls with only one user, but with other 2, it's impossible to rely on Skype. And this is a recent occurrence. I was using an older Skype version, so I updated to see if the bug could be fixed, but the problem got worse. I've followed all the advice from the "skype support" page, my network works fine, I have the correct speed etc, but the problem is still there.  I'm supposed to do some tutoring over skype, but it's impossible to continue. Skype, please wake up and take care of your customers!!! I'm extremely frustrated to be a paid customer for a service that's so unreliable!!!

Flag for a Moderator
Message 4 of 90
Novel Adventurer
Hi, I have the same problem. In the last few days my Skype has lost connection several times during group conversation. I've Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 and Skype 5.4. I have tried also Skype 5.3 and 2.8, but it still doesn't work. All my software is update and the internet connection test is perfect. I expect a quick fix for the problem.
Flag for a Moderator
Message 5 of 90
Community Ambassador
From Skype's 'Heartbeat' page:

Status announcements

Issues with Group Video Calling
By Kaili on January 24, 2012.

We are aware of the issues many users are experiencing with Group Video Calling. Our team is working diligently to restore GVC fully and we expect it to be operational shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

[Updated 25/01/2012@18:00GMT] Service is stabilizing, but some Group Video calls are still dropping. Our engineers are working hard to fix the remaining bugs and we're sorry for the inconvenience. We'll keep this post updated.
--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.
Flag for a Moderator
Message 6 of 90
Novel Tourist

Hi have recently acquired Skype.  So far I have not been able to make a call to a land line or a mobile phone.  The calls drop about 15 seconds after connecting.  I have used half my credit and have not been able to make one phone call.  Not very impressed so far!!

Flag for a Moderator
Message 7 of 90
Casual Tourist

I'm also having the same issue. My Skype keeps logging in and out, my internet connection is good and my software is up to date but every time I call people the call gets dropped anytime between 30 secs to 3 minutes into the call. I'm not using Skype video - it's just a regular skype to skype audio call. I don't know what else to do to get it fixed. I've tried installing and uninstalling Skype many times but it doesn't work.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 8 of 90
Novel Adventurer

After using Skype for international conference calls for many years, I am now having the same problem. In the past several days, Skype is not at all reliable. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm caling one person or three, at some point the call gets dropped, and then dropped again, and again and again. Since these sessions are really important to my customers, it is most disappointing. I hope Skype finds a solution soon.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 9 of 90
Novel Adventurer
I've used Skype for years like the above users with no problems - international paid or free - audio not video. Now it keeps going offline randomly. Very frustrating
Flag for a Moderator
Message 10 of 90