By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype Sounds Work but Cannot Hear Caller (cannot even hear a Skype Test Call)

SOLVED
Go to Solution
This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Casual Adventurer

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro with Lion. I restored my Time Machine backup of my older computer which ran Snow Leopard. I had Skype 5.2 installed and experienced trouble - I could hear all skype sounds, a call ring, chat notifications etc. but when I connected a skype-to-skype call I could not hear the other person. I've tried several different callers and could not hear them, I even tried the Skype Test Call several times - which would connect but I could not hear the automated voice answer the test call.

I upgraded to Skype 5.3 and still experienced this problem. I uninstalled Skype and then installed 5.3 - again nothing, I've restarted, I've shut down entirely and rebooted, I've tried installing Skype beta 5.4 - all to no avail. I've confirmed my correct audio input and output settings, I've tried using headphones and headsets, built-in speakers etc. all to no avail. This is the only sound issue - and the only application issue - that I am experiencing.

I hear Skype sounds, but cannot hear calls. I've tried searching this and have not find a resolution, any assistance to fix this - or the cause - would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 23 (19,344 Views)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Casual Adventurer
Solution
Accepted as a solution by fiasco22
‎28-08-2015 11:00

In a separate thread user CJR suggested:

"
I had the same problem - uninstalled (including removing preferences) and the sound came back. Besides moving the app to the trash I also deleted:

Delete the folder User/Library/Application Support/Skype

Delete the file Macintosh HD:Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist
Delete the file User/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist

"

I tried this using the program AppZapper to remove every file associated with Skype on my computer, and re-installed 5.2 and now the caller's sound works. WHEW!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 23 (20,047 Views)
22 Replies
Novel Tourist
I have the same problem... have osx 10.7 for several weeks and Skype worked fine with it until yesterday. I get all the sound but while making a phone call I can't hear the other caller although the other caller can hear me. Tried everything... no answer to it! Is it a Skype issue?
Message 2 of 23 (19,193 Views)
Casual Adventurer

I've tried installing older versions of Skype and have tried logging into a different s/n - still not working.

Does anyone have any other fix suggestions? Any help would be MAJORLY appreciated. thanks.

Message 3 of 23 (19,173 Views)
Casual Adventurer
Solution
Accepted as a solution by fiasco22
‎28-08-2015 11:00

In a separate thread user CJR suggested:

"
I had the same problem - uninstalled (including removing preferences) and the sound came back. Besides moving the app to the trash I also deleted:

Delete the folder User/Library/Application Support/Skype

Delete the file Macintosh HD:Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist
Delete the file User/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist

"

I tried this using the program AppZapper to remove every file associated with Skype on my computer, and re-installed 5.2 and now the caller's sound works. WHEW!

Message 4 of 23 (20,048 Views)
Casual Tourist

first mac I have owned...unsure how to do all this....at his point, guessing, if I had it to do over...purchase something else, this is a huge learning curve.   anyway, I'll try to get a techie to do this for me.

I am in Mexico...so easier said than done.

Message 5 of 23 (19,142 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I know this is not a lot of help but I, and several others, are expereincing the same problem (see other threads). I've tried everything I can think of but the problem persists.

Anyone from Skype or Apple out there who wants to comment?  The silnce is currently deafening!

Message 6 of 23 (19,139 Views)
Casual Tourist

I have the same problem, only I have Skype on a Dell laptop.  I can get the video on both sides, but who I call cannot hear me and I can't hear them.  My speakers, microphone and video check out okay. ???? Any suggestions will help.

Message 7 of 23 (19,129 Views)
Casual Adventurer

I have the same problem. I call call fine from comptuer to computer, i get audio and video.

When i use the echo 123 it works fine too...

But when i call a landline or a cellphone i can't hear the other person... And when i do hear the other person, they can't hear me ...

I've tried everything and nothing seems to sort this issue out. I can't keep this going ...

Message 8 of 23 (18,677 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I can hear people but no-one can hear me

Message 9 of 23 (18,523 Views)
Casual Adventurer

Yeah the software and service has turned to **bleep**...

Everything works fine with google voice and yahoo talk ... So its defo Skype

Message 10 of 23 (18,400 Views)
Discussion Stats