By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

New Facebook Integration with Skype 5.4 for Mac OS X Beta

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Community Manager

Hi all,

A cool new Beta has been just been released: 

You may have noticed that we now release updates for Skype for Mac quicker than ever before. We’ve released a number of updates in 2011 which included, amongst other features, a brand new interface, video call control bar and HD-quality video calling.

Today we’re launching Skype for Mac 5.4 Beta. The launch introduces the same Facebook integration found in Skype 5.5 for Windows. We are excited to finally deliver Facebook integration to our Mac users.

Just like in our Windows client, you will now be able to IM and connect with your Facebook friends without leaving Skype. You will also be able to read and update your News Feed, as well as comment and ‘Like’ your Facebook friends’ posts – all within Skype for Mac. To connect to Facebook, simply sign into Skype , click on the Connect to Facebook tab and enter your Facebook sign in details.

We are also introducing an advertising platform in this new release, but if you are a paying Skype consumer or have Skype Credit, you won’t see any display ads; similar to the model that is currently being used in our Skype for Windows client.

As always, we kindly ask that you download Skype 5.4 for Mac OS X Beta now to experience all that Skype for Mac has to offer.

From the blog : http://blogs.skype.com/en/

Allen Smith
Community Manager

If my post was helpful please give me some Kudos. Help other users who have the same questions by marking answers as solution

Message 1 of 64 (2,344 Views)
63 Replies
Novel Adventurer

Is the facebook integration also in an encrypted format like regular skype IMs?

Message 2 of 64 (2,294 Views)
Novel Tourist

Oh no! Please no more useless features in Skype. It is eating too much CPU even without Facebook stuff.

Message 3 of 64 (2,269 Views)
Novel Adventurer

were is this New Facebook Integration i just installed 5.4.0.1217 and i do not see anything about facebook 

Mac OS X Lion 

Message 4 of 64 (2,233 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Hi! I download the Mac version and installed it, but when I try to open it it just doesn't show me anything. What can I do?

Message 5 of 64 (2,229 Views)
Highlighted
Novel Adventurer

same thing for me i think this build is bugged

Message 6 of 64 (2,226 Views)
Novel Adventurer
you have to wait for the login page to load
Message 7 of 64 (2,218 Views)
Novel Tourist

I guess the Facebook integration is to be found in the Skype Start section. When i open Skype, it goes there but it's empty. It even crashes the app when going there from your profile section.

Message 8 of 64 (2,216 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Yeah, but how long? 15 minutes? I've been waiting a loooong time…

Message 9 of 64 (2,207 Views)
Novel Adventurer

why cant i post a link or picture in this froum ?

i took a screenshot and uploaded it to flickr 

take a look at  flic.kr/p/anrsQc

Message 10 of 64 (2,204 Views)
Discussion Stats