By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

What’s New in Skype 5.1 for Linux Beta

Staff

Thanks to all of you who continue giving us valuable feedback. We have the first update of Skype for Linux Beta. These are some of many new features and improvements coming with Skype for Linux Beta 5.1 that we are releasing today:

• Updated to Electron 1.6.2
  • Improved installer scripts that register the Skype update repository for you
  • Many smaller improvements and bugfixes

We wish you to have the best experience with Skype, so old versions of Skype for Linux Alpha are being decommissioned and you may need to update to the latest version.

You can download Skype for Linux Beta version 5.1 by visiting www.skype.com/download.

Thank you for all your feedback so far, please keep it coming. We're listening!

• LinuxAlpha
Tags (1)
Flag for a Moderator
Message 1 of 63
62 Replies
Novel Adventurer

Are those the only changes?  I'd really like to get to the point where there's parity between the linux and mac/windoze versions.  I know it's a high mountain to climb and you are making progress (which I applaud you for) but It's really hurting my ability to collaborate using Skype.

My wishlist:

1. Group Video calling with Windoze/Mac clients

2. Group Screen sharing with Windoze/Mac clients

Currently, if I try to have a video call with a group, I can only talk to one person.  Screen sharing didn't work either.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 2 of 63
Novel Adventurer

looks like nothing is done again.

> here, have this slow web skype wrapped into electron with some keyboard shortcuts and tray icon, now let's go shouting around microsoft loves linux, while your skype-for-linux instances will eat half of your ram

awesome, congratulations

windows users have two clients now, both running pretty neat and we have to deal with this non-native extremally slow thing

Flag for a Moderator
Message 3 of 63
Casual Adventurer

thanks, but still no possibility to rename contacts. If you have a look to most of Skypeforlinux beta news, 80% of the websites says that simple features like "rename contacts" are still missing.... Hope it will come soon.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 4 of 63
Novel Adventurer

The same old issues are reported with each update. Over and over.

Yet there does not seem to be any progress on bug fixes, or implementing features that windows users have, we just get some minor tweaks? 

Well.  Thanks for trying Microsoft.  I and most of my contacts have moved on.

-Troy

Flag for a Moderator
Message 5 of 63
Routine Adventurer

jonast wrote:

Thanks to all of you who continue giving us valuable feedback. We have the first update of Skype for Linux Beta. These are some of many new features and improvements coming with Skype for Linux Beta 5.1 that we are releasing today:

• Updated to Electron 1.6.2
  • Improved installer scripts that register the Skype update repository for you
  • Many smaller improvements and bugfixes

We wish you to have the best experience with Skype, so old versions of Skype for Linux Alpha are being decommissioned and you may need to update to the latest version.

You can download Skype for Linux Beta version 5.1 by visiting www.skype.com/download.

Thank you for all your feedback so far, please keep it coming. We're listening!

Any changes to the platform to fix the video freeze issues when connecting to non-Linux users?

Flag for a Moderator
Message 6 of 63
Novel Adventurer

Is it possible to implement the function close to tray like the old skype for linux?

Flag for a Moderator
Message 7 of 63
_G_
Casual Adventurer

Many people seem not to realize that it's not that simple to program an app like Skype, and that sometimes, bugfixes and refractoring-only releases are necessary so that the devs can develop new features in better conditions.

Therefore, while v5.1 isn't a big release in terms of feature, I'm still happy with it. Keep up the good work!

Flag for a Moderator
Message 8 of 63
Casual Tourist

You can't call it Windoze when it's those same people working on the development! If you want something done, don't insult the douche bags hardworking developers to develop on a more advanced system than what they know.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 9 of 63
Novel Tourist

You guys are barking up the wrong tree. The Skype website wrapper is a pure win-win for Microsoft from the management's POV. It enables them to claim support for all relevant desktop environments, which is good marketing and also useful in averting any accusations of unfair practices like they already faced when they started bundling IE with Windows. OTOH, they don't need to spend almost any resources on it because, well, it's just a wrapper so most of the work goes into the web application which is strategically important to have as it enables access from any device and location. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's the same guys doing the web who also were tasked with the Linux wrapper application as a side-project, "when there is time". Lack of any kind of roadmap or plan is kind of indicative of that.

Linux is not going to be a significant revenue source for Skype for a long time, if ever. If all is taken into account, I can bet they're still far from breaking even with it, so from the business perspective it is unrealistic to expect any extra investment from them. And as much as you'd like to think that boycotting Skype and spreading negative recommendations for lack of Linux support will hurt them, be realistic - it's just a drop in the ocean and any missed revenues you think you can cause, they will more than compensate by NOT spending resources on Linux but rather by working on introducing or ironing out features for platforms that the majority of paying customers are using.

So don't go swinging against the devs who give you the news here - they're doing the best with what they're given, and that isn't much. And welcome to the world of business...

Flag for a Moderator
Message 10 of 63
Discussion Stats