By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

What’s New in Skype 1.10 for Linux Alpha

This week, we have something special for you. The team has been working hard on bringing video calls on Linux and today we have the experimental version ready for you. We are not quite there. The 1-on-1 video calls work only between Skype for Linux Alpha clients for now. Despite the early phase, we'd like to ask you, the Linux community, to help us with testing. Please let us know how the video works for you.

With this release, we also decided to disable some older version of Skype for Linux Alpha (1.1 - 1.6). Those users will be asked to update to latest version. You can download the latest versions on following links...

Download Skype for Linux Alpha DEBDownload Skype for Linux Alpha RPM
By downloading and installing Skype for Linux Alpha, you agree to the terms of use and privacy statement.

Thank you for all your feedback so far, please keep it coming. We're listening!

• LinuxAlpha
Flag for a Moderator
Message 1 of 93
92 Replies
Routine Adventurer

Does this include "screen sharing"? Thank you

Flag for a Moderator
Message 2 of 93
Reliable Adventurer

It looks like we are getting there! Video calling and screen sharing are, to me, the only two major features yet to be fully implemented. Great job! I am upgrading to version 1.10 as I am typing this

Flag for a Moderator
Message 3 of 93
Casual Adventurer

Looks nice. What I'm desperately missing: Make pasting of HTML work! It seems to have improved now, but if I paste for example an anchor tag, it gets rendered as link!

It should simply render whatever I write! I sometimes want to share HTML code snippets with coleagues and this does not work right yet.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 4 of 93
Casual Adventurer

It worked for a few seconds, and then the screen went black. His system is kubuntu 16.04 on latest cinnamon 3.0. Hanging up and calling from unity, no video of mine was given although he saw me.

I would suggest some testing on your side with ubuntu-unity 16.04 and kubuntu16.04-cinnamon3.0

Flag for a Moderator
Message 5 of 93
Casual Adventurer

Hopefully the next version will be available to "Screen sharing". 

Flag for a Moderator
Message 6 of 93
Casual Adventurer

Can you promise though, that video calls only between skypeforlinux users is just a temporary inconvenience and we will be able to make video calls with windows users as well?

Flag for a Moderator
Message 7 of 93
Casual Adventurer
Still no search in chat feature.
Flag for a Moderator
Message 8 of 93
Novel Adventurer

Woooo great news! :-D

Flag for a Moderator
Message 9 of 93
Novel Adventurer
Great work. It's fantastic to see some momentum behind the linux client through regular progress updates. I guess each user has a different wishlist of priorities: the feature that'll make me happiest is PSTN calling.
Flag for a Moderator
Message 10 of 93