By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype for Linux End-of-life?

Casual Adventurer

You need to understand Linux desktop is a very small piece of all of this, what they are switching off is the P2P infrastructure support so people need to move off the old Windows and Mac clients. That Linux doesn't have an upgrade is of no consequence to Microsoft. If we want to be paranoid and/or realistic there's probably quite a bit of NSA pressure towards a centralized, easy to eavesdrop communication tool as well. There were rumors back then that Microsoft purchased Skype to facilitate exactly that.

Honorary Adventurer
Microsoft have a reputation for having little concern for it's user base, the is why Windows typically needs 10 times more support in corporate settings than other OSs, or as IBM put it, each employee that choses a Apple Mac computer in preference to a Windows computer, saves IBM between $275 & $534 over 4 years, the Apple tax in action! I do understand that approximately 1% of the world's workforce have a job because of the vagaries of Windows, so Microsoft can only very slowly improve their operating system quality to avoid the backlash such as their attempts to move more into security evoked when preparing Vista. However, other software need not be treated in such a cack-handed way.

In preference to professionally preparing an alternative software to replace v4.3, they put a version that was too early to release out for the user base to debug, that in now way resembles any form of corporate responsibility... This forum is here for the users to give them that feedback, so here is feedback!
Casual Adventurer

Please get automatic answer and screen share working on new Skype before turn off old Skype.  Thank you

Casual Adventurer
You need to find alternatives, Microsoft is not listening.
Community Manager

Hi all,

If you received this email then it must be because you have logged into an affected build within the last 30 days or, some how, you have been selected in error. If this is the case please accept my apologies.

At this time we are not retiring any of the existing working Linux Clients.

Thanks

Allen
Community Manager

If my post was helpful please give me some Kudos. Help other users who have the same questions by marking answers as solution

Casual Adventurer

Huh? Is this official? Could we get an update on https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/02/03/the-skype-you-love-is-getting-better-download-it-for-free-to... stating old Linux clients will stay working or a separate blog post? This sounds like unexpected and extremely good news but sorry, I am wary.

Community Manager

Yes its official and the blog post already doesn't mention Linux clients.

I specifically draw your attention to this paragraph:

Because we want to provide our users with the best possible Skype experience, necessary changes must be made along the way. So, beginning March 1, users running older versions of Skype for Windows desktop (7.16 and below) or Skype for Mac (7.0 to 7.18) will no longer be able to sign in. If you’re one of those users, all you’ll need to do is download the new update. For more information on which devices and operating systems Skype currently supports, please check our support site.

Clients with affected versions currently have pinned topics on the boards in the forum, affected users are also getting notified via their Skype Home and at Login.

And again I am sorry for any confusion the email must have caused.

Thanks

Allen
Community Manager

If my post was helpful please give me some Kudos. Help other users who have the same questions by marking answers as solution

Honorary Adventurer

Allen-S wrote:

Hi all,

If you received this email then it must be because you have logged into an affected build within the last 30 days or, some how, you have been selected in error. If this is the case please accept my apologies.

At this time we are not retiring any of the existing working Linux Clients.

Thanks

So version 4.3 is safe, the only Skype version am running

(I may have logged in once to a very early Alpha, only for a few minutes, but did not offer the only things I use of Skype...)

Highlighted
Community Manager
Safe as in we are not currently planning to retire the build yes.

As we move forward some functions may stop working correctly on these older builds and we may have to retire those builds. Right now I am unware of any immediate plans to do so.
Allen
Community Manager

Honorary Adventurer
That is a relief...
Auto log in, screen share are on the shopping list for the Alpha build, & more privacy options?
Thanks for clarifying
Discussion Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 10 in conversation