By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype for Linux Alpha and calling on Chrome & Chromebooks

Routine Adventurer

genki-adrian wrote:

This seems to be an actual improvement.

Skype for Linux has improved on many fronts:

• Updates are now served using a standard APT repository (which can be mirrored using debmirror!)
  • Modern UI
  • Ability to send and receive images with the new OSX/Windows clients
  • Support for animated icons
  • Support for Skype Translator
  • (Hopefully) more frequent updates
  • 64-bit support

If the other promised features are coming in the near future, I'm actually more than happy .

So far so good! Please keep it up!

Thanks,

Adrian

Are you joking. All those features (and many more) were already available through ghetto-skype for months. They surely used some of their code, I wonder if they asked their developers for help...

Experienced Adventurer

Ah, Skype for Linux joins the Everything Is A Webpage train.

My requirements for a reasonable chat program, and here's hoping you won't break all of these:

* A usable contact list (i.e. like pre-4.0 Windows, or like 4.x on Linux) — the contact group tree is great, don't take it away from us

* Detachable chat windows mode (i.e. unlike Slack & co. or the default mode in Windows Skype)

* Proper Urgent flag use on the task bar (again unlike Slack & co.) — if there's a message, I want to see it, not necessarily just hear it; the notification also shouldn't be temporary, what if I went away just when the popup was visible on the screen

* System tray icon

* No replacing of typed characters in the input entry.

Casual Voyager
1) There is no number of unread messages/calls on tray icon.
2) Can't answer the call: no notification about calling and no button to answer.
Former Staff

Hello, here's a link to an FAQ that shows what features are available today. Needless to say, we're working hard to bring other features to Skype for Linux Alpha soon - particularly video calling. 

We wanted to get this version of Skype to you as quickly as possible. Whilst it doesn't have all the Skype features yet, we hope you will help us move to beta and then to full launch in the coming months by testing our client and providing feedback to engineers.

PMM - Skype for iPhone and iPad
Casual Adventurer

pm79080 wrote:

Literally just a worse, closed source version of Getto Skype! What improvement did we get for sacrificing our freedom? Thieves! Taking all the credit of someone else's hard work!

I hardly doubt that they took any code from "Ghetto Skype" and without any proof, your accusations are actually not fair and acceptable. Also, the main binary is an actual 64-bit ELF executable and not some random NodeJS stuff, so I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

The Skype developers have delivered an update that was long overdue and with "long" I mean years. There are many actual good improvements like 64-bit support, a proper APT repository, a modern UI, the possibility to send and receive pictures from/to the new OSX/Windows clients, Skype Translator support and more.

And last but not least, it's explicitly tagged as Alpha, so I have no clue why you are complaining about missing/incomplete features. That state is the very definition of Alpha.

Adrian

Casual Adventurer

Is PulseAudio still a requirement? Lots of people have complained about this, as many Linux users don't use PulseAudio and don't want to use it, because it causes many problems and because it does not follow the KISS principle at all.

Is it as CPU-intensive as the previous version, which uses really too much resources in regard to what is achieved?

It seems to me that this app does everything in a non-Linux way: closed-source, obligation to use a X11 server even when it is not needed (for those who only use the text chat, or audio chat), only available on 2 architectures (out of dozens), very complicated architecture (WebRTC, so I guess it will be more CPU-intensive than it needs to be, bad news for laptop users). And maybe some ads?

Casual Adventurer

Are you joking. All those features (and many more) were already available through ghetto-skype for months. They surely used some of their code, I wonder if they asked their developers for help...

Ghetto-Skype is written in NodeJS while this new Skype application is actually a native application:

xxx@ikarus:~$ file /usr/share/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux
/usr/share/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.26, BuildID[sha1]=7add2ac9696244e623d0bd5dff394c14f09ce533, stripped
xxx@ikarus:~$

xxx@ikarus:~$ ldd /usr/share/skypeforlinux/skypeforlinux | head -n10
	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffe26d6f000)
	libnode.so => /usr/share/skypeforlinux/libnode.so (0x00007f2e165ab000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f2e16364000)
	libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f2e15d18000)
	libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f2e15a63000)
	libatk-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatk-1.0.so.0 (0x00007f2e1583d000)
	libgio-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f2e154b4000)
	libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 (0x00007f2e152a7000)
	libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f2e15085000)
	libcairo.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcairo.so.2 (0x00007f2e14d70000)
xxx@ikarus:~$

Do some fact-checking before coming up with such stupid accusations.

Adrian

Novel Tourist

Thank you very much. This is great for Linux users who actually use and need Skype! I hope that you'll consider implementing full support for kwallet on KDE too (and also integrating with the new Plasma system tray), so we don't have to install Gnome libraries.

Please don't listen to the trolls.

Novel Adventurer

--secondary option doesn't work? too bad..

Casual Adventurer

PA is now a must on every modern Linux Distribution and works absolutely perfectly! So move on...Don't have unreasonable requirments... Anyway thank for the update and we hope for frequent updates as you told us...