By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype for Linux Alpha and calling on Chrome & Chromebooks

Community Manager Emeritus

squaregoldfish wrote:

When you say 'Not fully functioning', can you say which features are and are not implemented? I appreciate there may be bugs in the features that are implemented - I'd just like to know what's completely missing at this stage.

There's a list of currently available and upcoming features in this help article: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34656

Found a helpful message? Give it a Kudo below to say "thanks"
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Novel Adventurer

Thanks. I'll be waiting for video calling to become available (it's the feature I need), but I'll be sure to give it a go when it arrives.

Casual Tourist

So it's just a web wrapper of the online version? Why even bother

Tourist
I don't get it, you just took the Skype for Web BETA client into an app. I saw similar projects, who've done that. I know that you want the best for your Users and I really appreciate that, but you could've done a bit more work in it, so it isn't like a copy of Skype for Web.
Routine Adventurer

I see... so from the FAQ, with the new Linux version we loose:

One-to one video calling
Skype PSTN calling
Skype SMS messages
Buy Skype credit
Add participants to ongoing call
Change device settings  

.... but.... we have new emoticons !!!!

This is a hell of an improvement for me. Thank you skype, now I can do less than I could do before but with new emoticons.

I thoguth that when people were talking about this as  joke they were just kidding around, but now I see that the reality is even worse than their jokes.

Routine Adventurer

BTW, if anybody interested, I've just tried ghetto-skype and it is waaay better than this alpha. You even have themes and of course you have both .deb and .rpm packages (as well as the source code).

https://github.com/stanfieldr/ghetto-skype

Novel Adventurer

Will Desktop sharing be supported?   This has been a bugged feature of the linux app for years and is an essential productivity tool for us.

Novel Adventurer

I need the option to autoanswer call and video, are you going to integrate that. This is for my grandmother 85 years old.

Thanks

Casual Adventurer

This seems to be an actual improvement.

Skype for Linux has improved on many fronts:

• Updates are now served using a standard APT repository (which can be mirrored using debmirror!)
  • Modern UI
  • Ability to send and receive images with the new OSX/Windows clients
  • Support for animated icons
  • Support for Skype Translator
  • (Hopefully) more frequent updates
  • 64-bit support

If the other promised features are coming in the near future, I'm actually more than happy .

So far so good! Please keep it up!

Thanks,

Adrian

WutIneedskype wrote:

Hmm, the skype cant detect my microphone, nor there is an option to select a microphone in the settings. PLEASE HELP

Device selection is not yet supported, but its on our list of upcoming features.