By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Skype 5.0 for Linux Beta is here!

Highlighted

Since the launch of Skype for Linux Alpha a few months ago, we have been focused on building a new experience that is in line with Skype’s ongoing transition from peer-to-peer to a modern cloud architecture. We want to create a Linux version of Skype that is as feature rich as the existing Skype on desktop and mobile platforms. Today, we’re pleased to announce that we are ready to take the next step and promote Skype for Linux from Alpha to Beta.

This update includes features that make it easier for you to use Skype for Linux for your everyday communications needs. We have been listening to you and added in some of your top requests. In addition to performance improvements and bug fixes we have added:

• Calling updates: Calls to mobiles and landlines with Skype credit, one-to-one video calls can be made from Linux to Skype users the latest versions of Skype for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac.
  • Better collaboration: Linux users can now view shared screens from other Skype desktop clients (Windows 7.33 and above, Mac 7.46 and above).
  • Usability improvements: Unity launcher now shows the number of unread conversations, online contacts in contact list now include Away and Do Not Disturb statuses.

You can download Skype for Linux Beta version 5.0 by visiting www.skype.com/download.

• LinuxAlpha
Tags (1)
Flag for a Moderator
Message 1 of 141
140 Replies
Tourist

Awesome to see this, thanks a lot for your work

Just a question, group video call/screen sharing is still not available, right? If so, then I believe that's the only feature I am still missing, so hopefully it's in the pipeline 

Flag for a Moderator
Message 2 of 141
Novel Adventurer

Still waiting on fixing bug with alt+shift ( language switch don't work because after alt press skype show menu ) and I think that idea about default copy text as quote is wrong, this create many problems on result, can you make options in menu for change this?

Flag for a Moderator
Message 3 of 141
Casual Adventurer
I'd like to see an option to stop the sideContainer expansion on mouseover or at the very least switch the side container to the right when Skype is in the compacted mode. I run Skype on the far right of my screen and every time I drag my mouse out of the Skype window I end up triggering the expansion event which is completely unnecessary to usability (as tooltips explain the icons if needed) and worse remains open covering the chat window. This could also be "solved" by just having it collapse again, but I really don't like having it expand in the first place. Right now I disable the mouseover event listener on the appropriate element using the debug tools in the debug menu (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + D to enable).
Flag for a Moderator
Message 4 of 141
Routine Adventurer

Hum, I got to www.skype.com/download and all I can download is version 4.x?

Flag for a Moderator
Message 5 of 141
Casual Adventurer

Thanks! I will test the new version.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 6 of 141
Casual Adventurer
"Nenhum microfone detectado. Conecte um microfone ou verifique as configurações de privacidade do seu microfone para seu dispositivo ou navegador." But I can only see the message with CTRL+C and CTRL+V (Black Pop-up). And I can not found this configuration menu.
Flag for a Moderator
Message 7 of 141
Experienced Adventurer
Flag for a Moderator
Message 8 of 141
Novel Adventurer

Great news. New skype for linux is amazing. Thank you for good news and great messenger!

Flag for a Moderator
Message 9 of 141
Novel Adventurer

Are you going to fix performance issues?

Seeing Skype for Linux eating 2GB of RAM isn't rare, especially when one isn't shutting computer down, but putting it to sleep.

After few days I have to restart Skype, because it starts to have unacceptable lag on mid and high performance laptop (i5-5200U with 16 gigs of RAM, i7-4700HQ with 16 gigs).

Linux Mint 17.1 x64 on both machines, but I see its the same for other Ubuntu machines of my workmates. Seems like Electron or just Skype Web issue and I'm sure you are aware of it.

Not mentioning other issues - I don't care. I just want smooth experience, which Skype For Linux wasn't able to offfer since the beginning to now.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 10 of 141