By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Having trouble signing in? Retirement of older versions of Skype for Linux

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Novel Adventurer

I installed the latest version on Ubuntu 12.04 from Synaptics.

I can sign in it, chat and video work, but there is no sound.

There is only one "Virtual sound device" shown.

How to rectify this?

Tags (1)
Flag for a Moderator
Casual Adventurer
This is absolutely outrageous from Microsoft. It is pure scamming to get the money from Linux based accounts that have been inactive for more than 15 days. Moreover what they are doing might very well be illegal, at least in my country. To take money for a service and then withdrawing it without warning and refusing a refund is just not on. Besides that, this is the only way that I have available to get in contact with Microsoft since their text chat triggers blocking from my browser security. That is less than satisfactory as well. Hove they not heard of e-mail? I am going to look it what are my legal options. Small claim tribunal or Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, at least in Australia might be the way to go. Fortunately I have plenty of time on my hand.
Honorary Adventurer

This is a real pain.  Linux Skype 4.2 would connect video calls to Mac Skype 2.8, the last Skype Apple PPC computers can run.  There are many many PPC Macs happily beavering away, & looks like they will for quite a while yet, plenty on ebay!!  So with Linux Skype 4.2 I could Skype with all my partners devices from one computer.

Now 4.2 is barred, I have to run Skype on 2 computers to keep track as she moves from device to device..

Novel Adventurer

kwa7 wrote:

How to rectify this?

I had to install pulseaudio, which I did not want to have on my system.

I agree that what Skype/Microsoft has been doing to non-Windows Skype users is outrages.

They should have at least warned us in advance about all the changes. My Skype stopped working on Friday just after they took my subscription for the next 3 months. Skype on my Android phone is still not working, even after upgrading.

Novel Adventurer

FUG_THE_NSA wrote:

LykaD. wrote:

Any solutions yet to bugs in Skype 4.3? I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and it crashes once chat history loads. And I need that history because I use skype yo communicate with clients and for business. And now skype is not working..what am I supposed to do? Just bring back 4.2 until you've fixed 4.3 bugs please. 

Anyways, anybody got a solution? I've tried multiple solutions from the different forums (sqlite3 and installing dependencies). But still it would crash.

Please help.

Ah ha. I've just found the "Quote the Last Message option. Unless people clcik that when creating their posts it's difficult to know who is replying to who.

I aren't having any history issues. Have you tried something as simple as deleting or renaming your .skype folder and starting skype again? What messages do you get from Skype when running it via the ternimal and performing those Chat History Actions? There should be something there you could quote here that might help work out what's going wrong.

I tried a lot of things. After I posted my first post, I tried uninstalling completely through synaptic and followed the instructions this for installation:
a.) Open “Software & Updates” and enable Canonical partners repository under Other Software tab.
Enable canonical partners repository
b.) Press Ctrl+Alt+T on keyboard to open terminal. When it opens, run the commands below to install old skype:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install skype

It seems that I need to enable canonical directories first so I did. At first it was ok, there were no crashes and it was working very well. But when my clients came online and all their history loaded, it crashed again. It wasn't as bad as before but still it would crash when it seemed 'overwhelmed' with the history being loaded. What I would do is:
1. Start up skype
2. when the log in window appears with my user name (dont type in password yet), i would delete .skype folder
3. then put in password and log in

sometimes it would help and it would be stable for a time. mostly for hours. but again, when it would load a huge amount of history when one of my contacts would come online, it would freeze. The only thing I see from command line is "aborted (cored dumped)"

I'm in big trouble from my clients already and even if they understand its not my fault they want me to find a solution which would mean a different OS since they insist we use skype only. I really don't want it to come to that. Very troublesome. any help?

Novel Adventurer

Hi,

Can you please help me. I have upgraded Skype version 4.3 now I am able to login multiple ID but manually put the password and ID, I Don't want to share passwords with any user and don't want ot put passwords on daily basis to all systems, can you please help me to create script file through that i can put that file any where in the system and it will pick automatically all usernames & passwords from a file. 

Novel Adventurer

Hi Sir,

Can you please help me on this, I have upgraded Skype version 4.3 now I am able to login multiple ID but manually put the password and ID, I Don't want to share passwords with any user and don't want ot put passwords on daily basis to all systems, can you please help me to create script file through that i can put that file any where in the system and it will pick automatically all usernames & passwords from a file. 

Casual Adventurer

Teaching my 81-years old mother how to upgrade Skype on Windows. Do MS really thinks that this is that easy? She had version 6.something btw. Such changes should not be done this way.

Casual Tourist

After being forced to upgrade to the newest version of Skype, it no longer works.

It worked perfectly under the last version, so what has changed?

I now cant select a mic or speakers in the audio options as the only thing available now is "virtual device".

Highlighted
Tourist
No, I will not mark this answer as a solution nor does it "remove my confusion". In all your web content you people claim that forcing us to drop 4.2 and move to 4.3 improves our lives and makes our Skype experience better. If you have bothered to read all the responses in this topic, by now I hope you understand: YOU ARE NOT MAKING SKYPE BETTER FOR US. 4.3 breaks audio compatibility. Pulseaudio does not work with my USB external audio equipment, and running it causes my other audio-based apps to stop working. If you want to make Skype better for us, put ALSA support back in. Or release the source code so we can do it ourselves. Or stop blocking 4.2 so we can continue using the version that DOES make our lives easier. What you have done to Skype is an abomination.