By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Getting started on Kindle Fire

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Casual Tourist

I have downloaded (and I think I installed) Skype and set my ID and password, but when I sign in, I am on the welcome page.  It says I have free calls and video, but I can't seem to find the appropriate link to actually begin using it.  How do I get off the welcome page and make a video call?

Message 1 of 11 (11,730 Views)
10 Replies
Former Ambassador

I don't even know if Skype will work on a Kindle fire, but it sounds like what you're doing is signing in to your account via a browser and skype.com.   That won't work.

To use Skype's features you have to actually install and run the Skype program or app and signin to it.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
Message 2 of 11 (11,729 Views)
Novel Tourist

kimberlycgood wrote:

I have downloaded (and I think I installed) Skype and set my ID and password, but when I sign in, I am on the welcome page.  It says I have free calls and video, but I can't seem to find the appropriate link to actually begin using it.  How do I get off the welcome page and make a video call?

Message 3 of 11 (11,078 Views)
Novel Tourist
Does skype work on kindle fire
Message 4 of 11 (11,036 Views)
Novel Adventurer
do not think so
Message 5 of 11 (11,020 Views)
Novel Adventurer
So far I have skype working for SMS only.
Message 6 of 11 (10,883 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I can't find skype in Kindle Fire official app store. You can root your kindle and install skype but unfortunately Kindle Fire doesn't have internal microphone so you have to buy a headset with microphone.

After all, Kindle Fire is designed for portable reading/watching only.

Message 7 of 11 (10,797 Views)
Novel Tourist
I need a way to download skype on of without rooting it. Even though it isn't in the appstore its in the amazon android Appstore unable to be put on kf
Message 8 of 11 (9,941 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I though i paid for my kindle fire HD NOW IT ON MY COMPUTER. I NEED TO SEE MY OLD ACC AND SET UP ON MY KINDLE FIRE HD.

Message 9 of 11 (8,895 Views)
Novel Tourist

How did you get skype to work on sms on the Kindle Fire (non HD)?

All I want to use skype for is the text chat, but I cannot find any place that will install that ..

Message 10 of 11 (8,334 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 11 in conversation