By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

using blue yeti microphone with skype question

Casual Adventurer

Hi,

I just bought a blue yeti mic to use with skype. The other person can hear me fine

but I cant hear him. All tests checked out fine on both ends. Then I saw the headphone jack on the bottom of the yeti mic. Question: do I have to have headphones on and plugged into the yeti headphone jack in order to hear someone, or is there a way to use the yeti and hear the other party without using headphones?

Thanks for any replies!

Message 1 of 6 (9,853 Views)
5 Replies
Highlighted
Casual Adventurer

I briefly googled your issue and came up with this: http://the-gadgeteer.com/2010/08/11/blue_yeti_mic/

It may be worth a read, as it sounds like you may need headphones unless you're willing to mess around with your computer's audio functions.

Message 2 of 6 (9,839 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I just tried to do the same thing -- use my big, expensive Blue Yeti mic on a Skype call, but I also had my headphones plugged in. The person I called could hear me, but I couldn't hear him through my headphones, so I simply took off the headphones and listened to him through the computer. This call was recorded as a podcast interview, so I'll have the opportunity to tweak the sound, but I'm wondering if the headphones should be jacked into my computer rather than into the microphone. Anybody know?

Casual Tourist

Hi,

The headphone jack in the Blue Yeti is a monitor - it will allow you to monitor the audio you are "recording" - but won't be much use on a Skype call.

During a Skype call - if you want to use your Blue Yeti (good call by the way - awesome mic!!) - you should use your computer's headphone jack to listen to your inbound audio (to listen the person you're in a call with). 

Use the headphone jack on your Yeti to monitor your own audio when recording a podcast or voiceover.

Hope that helps,

Shabbir

Message 4 of 6 (4,492 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Thanks! This is what I suspected, but it's good to get confirmation. I'm loving the Blue Yeti mic. It works great.

Message 5 of 6 (4,144 Views)
Novel Tourist

I tried using the Yeti in a skype call while listening to the other party through my laptops speakers. The other party complained badly that he hears his own feedback/echo. Solution? (besides headphones)

Message 6 of 6 (1,387 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation