By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Discontinuation of Desktop API & Skype Phone (RTX Dualphone)

SOLVED
Go to Solution
This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Casual Tourist

Hi - can someone confirm that the Desktop API discontinuation will affect this phone?

Given I bought it from Skype it would be disappointing to put it mildly and politely

thanks

Message 1 of 14 (1,963 Views)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Ambassador
Solution
Accepted as a solution by draki
‎28-08-2015 11:00

The RTX Dualphones ( 3088/4088 ) are standalone devices that don't rely on the Desktop API.  Unless you have some old version of the phone ( prior to the 3088 ) that needs to be tethered to a PC via USB with Skype running.  I am unaware if such a phone exists.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14 (2,120 Views)
13 Replies
Community Ambassador
Solution
Accepted as a solution by draki
‎28-08-2015 11:00

The RTX Dualphones ( 3088/4088 ) are standalone devices that don't rely on the Desktop API.  Unless you have some old version of the phone ( prior to the 3088 ) that needs to be tethered to a PC via USB with Skype running.  I am unaware if such a phone exists.

Message 2 of 14 (2,121 Views)
Highlighted
Tourist

Having a Dualphone 3058 connected via USB cable to my computer, I wonder if it will still function?

Message 3 of 14 (1,611 Views)
Community Ambassador

If the RTX 3058 is in fact tethered to a PC via USB, then you should still be in luck.  It appears Skype still plans to maintain compatibility for hardware and call recording software.

As stated in this recent Skype blog:

http://blogs.skype.com/2013/11/06/feature-evolution-and-support-for-the-skype-desktop-api/

Message 4 of 14 (1,548 Views)
Casual Tourist

techfreak wrote:

If the RTX 3058 is in fact tethered to a PC via USB, then you should still be in luck.  It appears Skype still plans to maintain compatibility for hardware and call recording software.

As stated in this recent Skype blog:

http://blogs.skype.com/2013/11/06/feature-evolution-and-support-for-the-skype-desktop-api/

I have desktop Skype & two phones for Skype; a Vtech 7100 and a Logitech Skype phone that are tethered to my PC via USB.  Manufacturers don't have any upgrades for them anymore but they are working fine on Windows 7. Am near Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada.  I was quite upset when Skype announced their exe files would not work anymore come December 2013. Do I understand correctly that now these usb phones will be supported by desktop Skype?

Message 5 of 14 (1,434 Views)
Community Ambassador

That post seems to infer that devices of that nature will continue to operate.  So that leads me to believe partial Desktop API functionality will remain to maintain compatibility until possibly a better/replacement solution is created.

Message 6 of 14 (1,425 Views)
Casual Adventurer

After some time on the phone with a Skype rep., I was able to obtain the exe file for skype 6.1. This version of skype works with myvtech 7100usb.

Skype needs to quit "improving".

Message 7 of 14 (379 Views)
Casual Adventurer

The real problem here, along with my vTech 7100 usb phone, is that Skype keeps "improving", which really aren't improvements at all, since they make our hardware obsolete.

Message 8 of 14 (378 Views)
Community Ambassador

Skype has not eliminated API support.  That core component still exists for compatibility.  Full compatibility of tethered devices needs to be maintained by its manufacturer/developer.  It's impossible for Skype to do since developers can write their programs a myriad of ways, properly or improperly.  As Skype updates itself, elements outside the purview of the API get modified.  If a developer linked some of its functionality to one of those non-static elements, they would need to update their program to compensate for those changes.  Since companies tend to retire and abandon older hardware, its software and its support therein lies the issue of why full compatibility isn't maintained.  I do have a tethered USB device in which the developer updated their software to support up to Skype 6.21, when they finally decided to abandon future updates.  Any version I use above that allows incoming calls but the keypad entries won't be recognized.

Message 9 of 14 (367 Views)
Casual Adventurer
Thank you for your response I downgraded to 6.1 and my phone works Is there a way to stop the continual update links that appear on my computer, even though I have turned off automatic updates?
Message 10 of 14 (341 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation