By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Can I use the FREETalk phone adapter without a landlines?

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Casual Tourist

I have disconnected my landline service.  Can I receive skype call to my regular cordless phone handset with a FREETalk phone adapter and a Skype online number?

Thanks in advance any help. 

Message 1 of 5 (709 Views)
4 Replies
Experienced Adventurer

I only want to use my home phone adapter for Skype calls, must I connect my landline?

A landline is not required to use the home phone adapter for Skype. However Skype should not be considered as a replacement landline service.

The biggest issue is that Skype cannot be used for emergency calls.

Message 2 of 5 (702 Views)
Novel Adventurer

HI Folks,

I could use the freeconnect adapter without using a landline. If the device doesnt show up in your network devices, you will need to find the IP address from your router, usually starts with 192.168.1.xx , so then you can do your setup with freeconnect and also sign into skype. 

Landline connection is required only for emergency purposes

Message 3 of 5 (571 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Sorry I meant freetalk

Message 4 of 5 (570 Views)
Community Ambassador

This is actually a really old thread.  The FreeTalk Connect Me can be used without a landline.  If you chose to use a landline for emergency purposes, there is nothing inherent to the device to filter local calls.

I was getting spammed on my local loop "Emergency line", after being told by my "no longer local telco" L2/L3 techs that receiving calls were impossible because I don't use their service.  I ended up rerouting my connection to a separate phoneline  that rings all hours of the night.  Setting my extra phone to "never ring" fixes that.  So now I have an active "never-ring" outbound emergency line.  

Message 5 of 5 (556 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation