By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Moderation-related question.

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Routine Adventurer

Don't take this as a request, but what trait/skills do people need to be mods?  I was just wondering.

(==========================================================)
You should read these if you have not done so already.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Suggestions-for-this-Community/Community-Guidelines/m-p/20#M1
Message 1 of 5 (2,205 Views)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Solution
Accepted by Beyza.S (Moderator)
‎21-12-2015 17:11
Hello and welcome to the Skype community,
thanks for this interesting question.

The most important trait of a moderator is being well-balanced and even-tempered. Because, unfortanately, on every forum community there will be visitors attacking you and your moderation directly because you will be the face of the community and / or company.
In addition to that she or he needs to be able to take a neutral point of view and only follow the guidelines set up for a community regardless of the content of the discussion in a thread.
The third skill is especially important on support communities: You need to have the empathy to be able to take a step back into the position of a new user. When you are using an application for years and are familiar with every nut and bolt you need to be able to moderate a "newbie" question with the same attention as a question coming from an advanced user.

I hope that answers your question. Maybe one of our moderators can share some of his or her own experience as well.

Found a helpful message? Give it a Kudo below to say "thanks" ¦ Latest Community News
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5 (2,358 Views)
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Solution
Accepted by Beyza.S (Moderator)
‎21-12-2015 17:11
Hello and welcome to the Skype community,
thanks for this interesting question.

The most important trait of a moderator is being well-balanced and even-tempered. Because, unfortanately, on every forum community there will be visitors attacking you and your moderation directly because you will be the face of the community and / or company.
In addition to that she or he needs to be able to take a neutral point of view and only follow the guidelines set up for a community regardless of the content of the discussion in a thread.
The third skill is especially important on support communities: You need to have the empathy to be able to take a step back into the position of a new user. When you are using an application for years and are familiar with every nut and bolt you need to be able to moderate a "newbie" question with the same attention as a question coming from an advanced user.

I hope that answers your question. Maybe one of our moderators can share some of his or her own experience as well.

Found a helpful message? Give it a Kudo below to say "thanks" ¦ Latest Community News
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Message 2 of 5 (2,359 Views)
Novel Adventurer
So, if I would like to be a mod What would I have to do?
Message 3 of 5 (2,065 Views)
Community Manager
Hi,
It's not you finding moderation, but moderation finds you Joking aside: If we see that a user has contributing positively to the community for a longer time we will approach you.

Message 4 of 5 (2,038 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Claudius wrote:
Hi,
It's not you finding moderation, but moderation finds you Joking aside: If we see that a user has contributing positively to the community for a longer time we will approach you.

Message 5 of 5 (568 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation