By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Paypal request for payment re Online number - is this a phishing scam?

Casual Adventurer

I have received the following message from Paypal:

You sent a payment of 46.49 GBP to Skype (cashiers@xxxxxx.com) 

Followed by a three month invoice, followed by:

Issues with this transaction? If you haven't authorized this charge, open a dispute at:
https://www.paypal.co.uk/send_payment/claimrefunds and get a full refund.

My first thought was this was a phishing scam. So I went into this community and do not see others reporting the same. In registering with the community I opened my passwords file and find I have noted 'Online UK number xxxxxx' and now vaguely remember receiving notification of this some months ago; however I also recall thinking that I have not ordered that number so I guess it is free.

Is the Paypal cash payment notification kosher and can I press the opena dispute web-link safely?

Message 1 of 5 (1,028 Views)
4 Replies
Routine Adventurer
Looks Legit. The link is https and it points to the proper Paypal site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if you have any questions on Skype online numbers or just virtual phone numbers in general.

The FlyNumber Blog 

Message 2 of 5 (988 Views)
Casual Adventurer

Have now received another one:

You sent a payment of 39.00 GBP to Skype (sales@skype.com) Thanks for using PayPal. To see all the transaction details, log in to your PayPal account.

The invoice just says "3 months subscription"

Subscription for what? I have no clue.

Both e-mails note that "if you haven't authorised this charge, then open a dispute ....

Has to be a scam - I cannot believe that two large global corporations are conspiring to reverse the whole legal concepts of offer, acceptance and payment! I shall wait and see whether these charges hit my credit card and take it up with the credit card company if they do.

Message 3 of 5 (983 Views)
Novel Tourist

Just to let you know that i have just recieved this same email, has any one had the money taken from there account, if so can you let people know.

Message 4 of 5 (976 Views)
Casual Adventurer

Nothing taken from my Paypal account or linked credit card.

Since the second payment notification I got encouraged me to "see my Paypal account for further details" and there are no such further details I am now pretty sure this is just another phishing exercise. 

Message 5 of 5 (917 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation