By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Continuous Static Noise during Voice Calls

This topic has been archived. To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Casual Tourist

I am having a problem making voice calls on my GS3 via Skype.

The person I'm calling hears only an incessant static noise which is very very loud. I tried dialing the Skype test call number and hear the same noise myself, so I guess this is not a network/connection problem. I am not sure if this is a phone-specific or even a ROM-specific  but I cannot figure out anyway to adjust mic settings either in Skype or in my OS. 

Also when I plug in my pair of headphones (with no mic), the static on the other side disappears and everything is crystal clear, which is even more weird to me.. I have tried the solution to degrading audio quality mentioned in the FAQ thread but to no avail. 

Anyone has similar problems?

Environment:

Android 4.1.2 Cyanogenmod 

Phone Model: SGH-I747

Skype 3.0.0.6181 

10 Replies
Novel Tourist

Exact same setup/versions and problem here.  Glad to know about the headphone workaround, but it'd be very nice to see this work properly.  Fingers crossed for CM 10.1 to come out and work properly.

Message 2 of 11 (34,956 Views)
Routine Adventurer

Sounds like some hardware issue. 

I had problems witht he other side hearing me clearly in the past.  Then when I changed to a different headphone with a different mike, everything cleared up and no more problems.

Message 3 of 11 (34,947 Views)
Novel Adventurer
Same everything. No sound at all with headphones plugged in. Did echo tests, nothing is heard not even the static. Was there a recent skype upgrade causing this?
Message 4 of 11 (34,941 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I found a temp fix.

Go to Android Market, disable automatic updating for skype (uncheck box)

dl.apktops.com/app/201208/Skype_2.9.0.315.apk

Download this file through your favorite method.  I sent the link to my phone via AIM (sent as a text).  Use your favorite method.   

My thoughts were right, a recent update broke the sound...

Message 5 of 11 (34,924 Views)
Novel Adventurer

Sorry can't edit my response, download an install APK through any method you want to use.  

Message 6 of 11 (34,895 Views)
Novel Adventurer

I had the same problem and updated the audio driver for my webcam/microphone and it seemed to fix the issue.  

Message 7 of 11 (33,449 Views)
Novel Tourist

Same problem MotoBionic. Is just anoying it souns like sparks and when you have the phone on the ear

Feels like if your hairwill start on fire because of the sparks... I searched for this problem and there is no solution. I had tango, viber on my phone and they didnt do that noice same as when I talk on my regular line there is no noise... If you fixed the problem let me know because I use skype a lot...

wynnsyt wrote:

I am having a problem making voice calls on my GS3 via Skype.

The person I'm calling hears only an incessant static noise which is very very loud. I tried dialing the Skype test call number and hear the same noise myself, so I guess this is not a network/connection problem. I am not sure if this is a phone-specific or even a ROM-specific  but I cannot figure out anyway to adjust mic settings either in Skype or in my OS. 

Also when I plug in my pair of headphones (with no mic), the static on the other side disappears and everything is crystal clear, which is even more weird to me.. I have tried the solution to degrading audio quality mentioned in the FAQ thread but to no avail. 

Anyone has similar problems?

Environment:

Android 4.1.2 Cyanogenmod 

Phone Model: SGH-I747

Skype 3.0.0.6181 

Message 8 of 11 (33,344 Views)
Novel Adventurer

how do you update audio?

new to tablet and skype, cant find tool bar or anything that helps me.

Message 9 of 11 (25,913 Views)
Tourist

the only way that I can get a clear call on both ends of the conversation is if the room is totaly quiet at both ends. even then the people I am talking to complain of echo and intermitent silence. skype hardly ever works good

Message 10 of 11 (23,001 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation