By using this site you agree to the use of cookies for analytics, personalised content and ads. Read more

Deletion of account of deceased person

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Novel Tourist

Hello,

we don't have access to the skype account of our deceased parent, the job email account has been deleted and we don't know the password.

What documents do we have to provide in order to let you delete the account?

Regards

Flag for a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
First of all please let me express, on behalf of everyone here at Skype, my condolences for the loss of your wife.

At Microsoft the privacy and security of our customers data is a fundamental concern and indeed our customers expect Microsoft to keep their information private and secure even in the event of death or incapacitation. Our primary responsibility is to honour this expectation.

The legal next of kin can contact msrecord@microsoft.com to request the account be closed and to ask any questions about this process.
Allen
Community Manager

If my post was helpful please give me some Kudos. Help other users who have the same questions by marking answers as solution

Flag for a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
6 Replies
Staff Moderator

please contact Skype customer service

TIME ZONE - US EASTERN. LOCATION - PHILADELPHIA, PA, USA.

I recommend that you always run the latest Skype version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
Flag for a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
Casual Tourist

That didn't tell me how to remove old accounts but thanks.

Flag for a Moderator
Message 3 of 7

Hi, @katielovey,

With regards to closing the account of a deceased person, there are two factors to consider:

1. Skype Customer Service will request verification, typically by supplying certain documents to confirm the passing of the accountholder.
  2. Once this verification step is concluded, then Skype Customer Service can close the account.

Contact Skype Customer Service using your own account, not the account intended to be closed.

Please accept my condolences for your loss.

Kind regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!
Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety
Flag for a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
Casual Adventurer

NormanM wrote:

please contact Skype customer service

Having a very similar issue - My Wife of 12 Years passed away in November 2016. 

I have been able to contact Microsoft and have her Email accounts closed there - But her Skype Email was registered to Yahoo - Who have been IMPOSSIBLE to contact.

As a result - Her account is still open and subject to abuse (Though none has happened yet)

[Name removed for privacy] - My deceased Wife - should really have her account closed, but there seems to be no way of doing so - and teh suggestion of contacting Customer Services is, well - As with Yahoo and Twitter (Who have ALSO not responded to calls to close her Twitter Account!!!) - USELESS!!!

I have just spent the last HOUR trying to contact Customer Services and there is no way of doing so from the UK! I keep being referred back to here!!!!

I am enclosing a scan of her death certificate and hope that someone in your staff will take the appropriate action and close the account!

Flag for a Moderator
Message 5 of 7
Community Manager
First of all please let me express, on behalf of everyone here at Skype, my condolences for the loss of your wife.

At Microsoft the privacy and security of our customers data is a fundamental concern and indeed our customers expect Microsoft to keep their information private and secure even in the event of death or incapacitation. Our primary responsibility is to honour this expectation.

The legal next of kin can contact msrecord@microsoft.com to request the account be closed and to ask any questions about this process.
Allen
Community Manager

If my post was helpful please give me some Kudos. Help other users who have the same questions by marking answers as solution

Flag for a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
Casual Adventurer

Thank you, this will be most helpful. 

I am very pleased to see Microsoft and Skype behaving responsibly like this. 

While they may be competitors, I am sure you could teach Yahoo and Twitter to do likewise. 

I shall email the details tomorrow. And thank you once again. 

Flag for a Moderator
Message 7 of 7
Discussion Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation