Windows (desktop client) Ideas

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New Idea

Imagine my disgust seeing some tall cat thing when I try to type out ":3". And the horror when I find out that (fubar), (finger), (wtf), and (hollest) don't do anything either.

My idea for the Windows client is for Skype to restore the (fubar), (finger), (wtf), and (hollest) smileys and remove the ":3" smiley (and reverting any other changes that were made that I haven't listed). Put the emote set back to the way it was in version 6.13, please!

Thank you all for your feedback, we will raise this with the right team.
Ahdd

New ads / Ad choices

by Ahdd on ‎29-01-2014 18:06

My idea is, get rid of the new advertisement feature which has been put in and appears at the top of the screen when you're typing in chat with someone

ie:

ADVERTISEMENT HERE

Person you're typing to info here

Chat log here

The ad up top is HUGELY distracting.  I don't mind ads on the contact list or on the status updates page, but when it's where I'm typing to someone its just unbearable. 

This just started today for me and quite honestly it's making me want to switch to another provider for chat like things.

If there was an option to choose where you saw ads that would be acceptable as well, but right now this new thing with the ad popping up up top when I'm typing to someone is horrendous.

Thank you all for your feedback! We will be raising this with the team.
BananasGoMoo

Custom Emotes

by BananasGoMoo on ‎30-01-2014 04:12

My idea is to add custom emotes such as the ones from WLM, since all of those users were merged onto Skype, it would be nice to have that feature again.

Ava1338

Seen Feature

by Ava1338 on ‎21-01-2014 13:15 - last edited on ‎21-01-2014 15:42 by Mirunan Staff

Hi, I have seen this system on "Facebook". It tells you if the person has read your message. It is a really useful feature. Just avoids spamming, harassing etc. It would also show you if the person/user is ignoring you or not.

Could you please add the same feature to Skype? It would be great.

How is the system working?:
You pm someone, If he saw your message without reply = It'll display this small line/message "Seen 00:00 PM/AM"

An example:

Seen feature

Thank you so much!

Basically, when setting yourself to Do Not Disturb mode, it would ask you if you wanted to receive notifications from certain people, or from nobody.  This change would be useful if you don't want to receive notifications from everyone on your Contact List at a certain time, and just wanted to receive them from a few that you could select.

Thank you for your feedback, I have moved this item to Under Consideration.

Hello.

It's midnight, I'm winding down for the night. I have about 20 conversations open using Trillian, my instant messaging client of choice. I have several conversations over AIM, many over YIM, and a few over more esoteric instant messaging services. I have 3 different IRC servers connected and several Skype conversations. They all use the same type of window, they're all in different tabs. I'm not the average Skype user - I'm a power user, this is how I relax.

My instant messaging client has a set of accounts for work, gaming, and then a set of personal accounts. After that I have every instant messaging account I've had over the past 15 years bound to it. This means I have well over 20 accounts attached to it! It's a very busy program.

Skype used to support third party clients through the Skype API or Skypekit, however, support for both has been discontinued. The Skype client's interface is much different from my preferred IM client's. It isn't able to manage 20 different tabs at once and it's difficult to keep track with hundreds of different individuals because of how it handles categorization. I can't manage multiple identities/presences at once nor can I write my own plugins to help me manage the herculean task of keeping up with everyone. This is not stuff Skype needs to be worried about doing.

Currently there's no supported way for third party clients designed for power users like me to connect to the Skype network. Skypekit will stop working soon enough and I simply won't be able to keep up with the people who want me to keep up with them. I'd imagine quite a few other power users are in the same boat. None of us want Skype to try to cater the Skype client to our needs - we're not mainstream users, we're a minority and we know it.

However, right now the Skype network is closing to anything but the official client. In my opinion this isn't a good thing. It prevents new and esoteric platforms from accessing the Skype network, it prevents power users from accessing the Skype network in the way they need to access it, and it discourages innovation on the network.

I believe Skype should either remake the Skype API that put the official client in to silent mode, keep Skypekit up to date (though Skypekit had issues with multiple instances running in the background), or provide a means for third party clients to access the Skype network. This could even be done via federation with an open protocol I.E. XMPP or other protocols.

Besides allowing power users like me a way to access our Skype contacts in a way that is seamless from our AIM and YIM and other contacts, the last latter implementation would allow Skype to grow in new and innovative ways, especially as the Internet of Things expands.

Long story short: Skype should allow third party clients a means to access the service that does not require direct user interaction with the default Skype interface.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Mirunan

Provide additional statuses

by Mirunan Staff on ‎14-01-2014 20:53

Would like a feature that shows that I am in a call.  This would help to show other users that I am busy in a call and may not respond to their messages immediately.

dr.agisic

Selective status availability to contacts

by dr.agisic on ‎18-01-2014 20:13 - last edited on ‎04-02-2014 19:22 by Mirunan Staff

It would be great if possible to choose what contacts in my contact list could see my online status.

Thank you for your feedback and helping to clarify the scenarios!
od.james

Transfer Calls

by od.james on ‎07-03-2014 10:28
We use Skype for business use. It would be extremely handy to transfer a live call to another Skype account.<br><br>This feature used to exist, but was removed. Please bring it back. Skype cannot claim Skype for Business unless it has basic business calling functions!

Hey :happy:

i tought it can be really nice if you will add custom emoticons to skype.

it was really nice function in the Messenger and many people love it.

hope you can add it :happy:

Thank you for the feedback. Custom emoticons are being considered. There are other custom emoticon requests such as http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client-Ideas/Custom-Emotes/idi-p/2890639 If other users would like this added, please include your kudos.
DannyBoy11122

Themes!

by DannyBoy11122 on ‎31-01-2014 23:58

There should be themes like what Windows live messenger used to have :happy:

Thank you

Mirunan

Support spell check

by Mirunan Staff on ‎14-01-2014 18:21

Currently spell check is not supported within the Windows desktop client.  Adding spell check will allow for users to ensure that they will not be mis-spelling items when posting on Skype.

Spell check is available in the latest Skype for Windows desktop from www.skype.com/go/download when used on Windows 8.1. We are using the system spell check for that.

Hi,

I'm the owner and admin of a decent sized (60 members and growing) skype chat and for the past several months I've been using a downgraded version of Skype (6.2) that still allowed Chat Admins to edit and delete messages made by others in the chat, for moderation purposes. I was well aware more recent versions have removed this feature which was why I never upgraded...

Until I was forced to upgrade today which was very, very frustrating as I now can not moderate my chat and I can not downgrade again as you've removed previous versions ability to function.

I use these features to keep the peace, to make sure no hurtful comments are posted and now I can not do this.

I am asking that you please bring these features back, there was absolutely no reason to have them removed in the first place and now I can not moderate my chat efficiently. 

And I KNOW there are MANY other people out there who agree this was the STUPIDEST decision you guys have EVER made.

There is NO reason why it can't come back.

Xaser

Unread Message Notification Timer

by Xaser on ‎23-05-2014 12:08

Hi,

many people I collaborate with using skype are very fast typers, like me. That means that reading a new message is a process of tabbing over, reading the message and tabbing back in the matter of about a second.

However the new message notification seems to be combined with a delay that results in the message still being marked as unread when tabbing back, which can be very annoying.

I therefore propose to remove this delay timer alltogether or at least give the skype user the ability to turn it off using the settings menu or a configuration file.

Thank you for the feedback. Would other users like to have this as well? Please add comments or kudos and we will monitor the interest level.
kerojarun

Arrange a Skype meeting & meeting reminder

by Staff Moderator Staff Moderator on ‎15-01-2014 21:50 - last edited on ‎18-01-2014 04:17 by scottstumsft Staff

It would be good to have the ability to set up a Skype meeting with specific Skype contacts and then also to have an automatic reminder for the meeting for all the participants.
Also to view inside Skype schedule of Skype meetings which you could postpone, cancel, decline, accept.

I know this has been discussed many times, but it would be really nice to add an OPTION (in the OPTIONS menu) that lets you make the close button actually close Skype. I'm not saying it should replace the current way or even be default. I would just like the option to do that.

It is inevitible that different people have different input audio levels. As such, I perceive that it is necessary to have control over individual volume levels for group call situations. Sometimes, certain people overwhelm others and the ability to adjust the individual volume levels would be really really useful. Even a mute function for when some people might be away but in a call and have unbearable background noise.

Thank you all for the feedback, we will be routing this to the right team.

I have many contacts and would like to be notified only when certain people come online or go offline.  But, Skype currently only allows for an "all or nothing" notification, so I am frequently notified about people that I really don't care about!

Thank you for your suggestion. We will enter this item for consideration.
Aussienospace

Block spammers

by Aussienospace on ‎08-04-2014 13:59

I am tired of having spammers ask to be added to my contact list. 

Although I have in my settings "Allow IM's from = people in my contact list only" I still get the spammers who want to either spam me, defraud me.

I never chat to these people and always immediately report them as spam and decline the request. But I should not have to do this.

We need REAL privacy settings like we had in messenger as right now the current settings do not give you this.

I dont want people who are not in my contact list have the ability to pop up and ask to be added to my contact list - period!

In the latest Skype build (6.16), we currently limit the message size to 300 characters for users to identify themselves, this should help to prevent users from trying to add you and sending you this information.
UnknownReverent

Show "Music currently listening to" in status.

by UnknownReverent on ‎31-01-2014 23:17 - last edited on ‎12-03-2014 20:56 by LaurieLP Staff

I'd like the "currently listening to" status back to show friends what I'm listening to. I'm often Skyping with friends and listening to music and they ask what I'm listening to.

I've always liked showing what I was listening to and I always used it back when they had the plugin.

Thank you for your suggestion. We will submit for consideration.
Announcements

You can submit your improvement ideas to Skype for Windows desktop quickly and easily here.Learn how

Idea submission tips:

• Only one idea per submission
  • Pick a descriptive title

Labels
Top kudoed authors

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling