skype for ipod touch 2nd generation

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

skype for ipod touch 2nd generation

Hello, I am wondering if there is some way you can bring back skype for 2nd generation ipod touches.  I know a large portion of the ipod users have a 2nd generation ipod touch. It would make this large group of people happy. I know it used to work for this ipod, but then you updated the skype app. This would increase the number of app downloads significantly.

aturbo97
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 10
Message 1 of 9 (16,626 Views)

Re: skype for ipod touch 2nd generation

I own an iPod Touch 2nd gen as well, so i feel your pain. Apple itself dropped support for those devices beginning of this year. It would mean a lot of extra effort from Skype side to keep supporting those older devices while Apple moved away from them already. I think that won't happen.
You might want to let Apple know that they should support their own devices for a longer time, but their reply is usually: Buy a newer iOS device :sad:

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13833
Message 2 of 9 (16,601 Views)
kami_rock55
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 154
Message 3 of 9 (16,589 Views)

Hi, I also have a 2nd generation. Let me tell you what I did. When iTunes updates an app (at least in Windows), it moves the old app file to the trash can. I went to Apps Library in iTunes and I right clicked the Skype App and displayed the app info. In the info you can see the location in disc of the app file. Then I replaced the new app file with the app file from the trash can. The version that worked for me is 3.7.40. Don't forget that you can't update Skype again, at least until you change your iPod

nico_sola
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 9 (16,064 Views)

I agree. I think the only reason they upgraded it is because, you'll have to buy a newer model, and apple will make more money. I am very disappointed in Skype. :sad:
yeru
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 9 (14,440 Views)

[ Edited ]

nico_sola wrote:

Hi, I also have a 2nd generation. Let me tell you what I did. When iTunes updates an app (at least in Windows), it moves the old app file to the trash can. I went to Apps Library in iTunes and I right clicked the Skype App and displayed the app info. In the info you can see the location in disc of the app file. Then I replaced the new app file with the app file from the trash can. The version that worked for me is 3.7.40. Don't forget that you can't update Skype again, at least until you change your iPod

Thanks for the advice, it worked!
Son has an ipod touch, FIRST gen.  I mean "old."  Found Skype 3.0.1 and he's up and running again.

Steps:

1.  Open your Recycle Bin and locate older versions of skype
2.  Drag older versions to your desktop

3.  Using File Manager, go to c:\Users\[UserName]\MyMusic\iTunes\iTunesMedia\Mobile Applications (yours may be different; this is mine)
4.  Drag your newest version of skype to your Desktop
5.  Drag the newest 'old version' of skype to the Mobile Applications folder
6.  Double click the old version which is now in your Mobile Applications folder.  You will receive a warning message that you are overwriting another version.  Click ok.

7.  Go to iTunes and try to install Skype on your device.  If it intalls, great.  If not, you need to repeat this process with an older 'older version.'
8.  When you get it installed, you can delete the old version from you Mobile Applications and replace it with the newsest version.  iTunes will not update the ap on your old device because it knows it can't.  If you have multiple devices in the house, people with newer 'stuff' get the latest version.  People with older 'stuff' now have the older stuff.

Good luck!

Takes a little fanigaling, but it can be done.

ubbenzoo
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 9 (4,950 Views)

The iTunes app store now allows download of the last working vesrion of skype for your OS.

Please go to iTunes store FROM YOUR DEVICE and try to download skype - it will tell you that your OS is not compatible with the current version of skype and will ask you to allow download of the last compatible skype version - you allow that and you will have a skype version which works for your iPod touch.

Hope this help

Delt
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 9 (3,824 Views)

So sweet very nice
Posted from Apple iPod Touch
S_malik38
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 9 (1,628 Views)

Actually this is false now.
Posted from Apple iPod Touch
Sexual_Zombie
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 9 (1,171 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling