iPad group video chat?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

iPad group video chat?

I can not intitiate a group video chat via my iPad. what is wrong, how do I fix it?

JoshuaYoung
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 16 (25,632 Views)

Re: iPad group video chat?

At this time group video is not supported on any mobile devices, only Macs and PC and those running Skype version 5 or later.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1892
Message 2 of 16 (25,619 Views)

Follow-up question: what about PC running Linux? The latest version for Linux is 4. Does that mean I cant use group chat under Linux?
vbarzov
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 16 (23,917 Views)

Do jou know when it comes avalible for the ipad?
Edwintel
Casual Tourist
Message 4 of 16 (23,509 Views)

I am also very interested to know what the plans are for including group video chat for the ipad. As a long time skype user, and skype pro user, much of my business is based around group video chats. When I recently bought a new ipad I was excited for this to be my on the road mobile device. Unfortunately, since I can't group video skype from it, I'm still stuck dragging my laptop everywhere with me. If there isn't a solution on the horizon I'm either going to be dropping skype or dropping the ipad in order to find a communication platform and device that work for me while traveling. (which would be sad because I love skype and I love my ipad)

Thank you for any insight.

lindsaywelch
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 16 (23,435 Views)

I have the new iPad and just upgraded to premium thinking it would give me group chat...can I get a refund?
Posted from Apple iPad
Pamelahourigan
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 16 (23,409 Views)

[ Edited ]

I don't know what the policy would be in your situation, but click here request a refund to start the process to and then keep your fingers crossed.  :(y):

As for posters wondering if and when Skype will make group video available on the iPad, Skype never announces plan for future features.  We'll just have to wait and see if it happens.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1892
Message 7 of 16 (23,380 Views)

You CAN get video chat on your mobile device. g4pilut is only half correct. If you are attempting to group chat with someone who is on a PC/Laptop, then they can add people to the call. You could also set up a separate Skype account and get your friends to add it as a contact. Then, as your alternate account, invite all your friends (including your main account) to the chat and leave the computer on. But that might not be as useful if you're trying to chat VIA restaurant or a place like that. Your friend would need to start the group from their computer.
Alberto3000
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 16 (23,206 Views)

You CAN get video chat on your mobile device. g4pilut is only half correct. If you are attempting to group chat with someone who is on a PC/Laptop, then they can add people to the call. You could also set up a separate Skype account and get your friends to add it as a contact. Then, as your alternate account, invite all your friends (including your main account) to the chat and leave the computer on. But that might not be as useful if you're trying to chat VIA restaurant or a place like that. Your friend would need to start the group from their computer.
Alberto3000
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 16 (23,205 Views)

Alberto3000 - I haven't been able to do this. My experience is that ipads are prevented from joining in a group video call in any way, either as a participant or as a host. If there is a work around for joining a group video call from an ipad, please advise. 

lindsaywelch
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 16 (23,202 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling