how to call from U.S. to Mexico on iPhone (I have ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

how to call from U.S. to Mexico on iPhone (I have Skype credit)

I'm trying to call Mexico from the U.S., using Skype on my iPhone. I have Skype credit.

Do I need to dial the country code?

I'm dialing the number without the country code and just getting what seems like a dial tone. I'm calling a hotel, though, so they should pick up. Any tricks or tips?

kkcreevy
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (3,574 Views)

Re: how to call from U.S. to Mexico on iPhone (I have Skype credit)

kkcreevy wrote:

I'm trying to call Mexico from the U.S., using Skype on my iPhone. I have Skype credit.

Do I need to dial the country code?

I'm dialing the number without the country code and just getting what seems like a dial tone. I'm calling a hotel, though, so they should pick up. Any tricks or tips?

When calling telephone numbers with Skype, you must include the country code - even if you are in the same country as the number you are trying to call.  For Mexican landline phones, it would be +52 (or 00 52) followed by the area code and phone number, which would have a total of 10 digits.  The area codes for the 3 largest cities (Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Monterrey) have 2 digits, and for the rest of the country it would be a 3-digit area code.  For the phone numbers, those are 8 digits in length in those 3 largest cities, or 7 digits in the rest of the country.  Same rules apply for mobile phones, but you would use +521 (or 00 521) as the country code when dialing a Mexican mobile number.

It is possible that there were problems with the phone system at the hotel, or in the Mexican telephone network in the area of the hotel, that prevented your call from going through.  If the problem persists, contact customer service and report the issue with details (what number were you trying to reach, when did you try calling it, etc.).

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 674
Message 2 of 3 (3,566 Views)

Re: how to call from U.S. to Mexico on iPhone (I have Skype credit)

[ Edited ]

Gracias!!! Thank you!!!

Mismo problema (excepto q desde Brasil), misma brillante solución! Same problem, same brilliant solution (except that from Brazil)!

gusrochcarmon
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 3 (1,173 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling