do you have to buy a skype number

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

do you have to buy a skype number

have set skype up on home computer but can not get a number to use unless i buy credit.

was told you get number free

can anyone help?

rick0071
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (1,830 Views)

Re: do you have to buy a skype number

Hi, you need Skype Credit or a subscription to call landlines and mobiles. Skype to Skype calls are free, so you need to add a person to your Skype contact list to be able to make free calls.
Kadri
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 210
Message 2 of 5 (1,810 Views)

I have an android phone and thr person I want to call for free uses a computer. Both of us have skype accounts. Do I still have tobuy credits to talk to them?
Posted from Android 4.1
heidi3581
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 5 (1,380 Views)

you have to not only buy credit but also  rent the number ( a subscription)

jcberm
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 5 (923 Views)

To clarify, Skype to Skype calls are always free of charge, regardless of which platform, device, or computer used.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
If a reply answered your question, please click on the Accept as a Solution link so others following in your footsteps can find what works! If anyone helped you, you can show your appreciation and thanks by clicking on the Kudos button!

Trustworthy information: David Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Good Tip: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1624
Message 5 of 5 (880 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling