Using Skype in Europe

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Using Skype in Europe

We live in the states and are taking a trip to France and Amerstam. We're looking on the Skype site but can't figure out how Skype for regular phone calls works. Can we use Skype on our Iphones to make calls to Europe and the States? Can we do this while on 3G, can we do it on WiFi? Is the way to do this by buying a skype credit, or skype premium etc? thanks!
Posted from Apple iPad
DougF222
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (8,949 Views)

Re: Using Skype in Europe

need to turn off cell/data/roaming in general settings on iphone and get connected to wifi either in a hotel or other hotspot (probably need to pay for wireless internet access). Need credit on skype and can make voice calls to land lines or mobiles for @10 cent/minute. I think the premium services just finds more internet connection locations (wifi hotspots that you will pay for out of your account). App is free.
dkastholm
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 2 of 8 (8,933 Views)

thanks. can i make skype calls when on 3g?
Posted from Apple iPad
DougF222
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (8,931 Views)

yes but cellular voice and data roaming charges will apply and it will cost you (figure many 100s), unless your company is paying for it ... when I travel aboard and use my company's BB it is very expensive for recieving data using 3G, 25 minute mobile to moblie from Mexico to States was @$70. I suggest turn off cell roaming and get data through internet (wifi) either at hotel or another hotspot.
dkastholm
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 8 (8,929 Views)

DougF222 wrote:
We live in the states and are taking a trip to France and Amerstam. We're looking on the Skype site but can't figure out how Skype for regular phone calls works. Can we use Skype on our Iphones to make calls to Europe and the States? Can we do this while on 3G, can we do it on WiFi? Is the way to do this by buying a skype credit, or skype premium etc? thanks!

The user "dkastholm" is giving you great advice.  You may be able to use the Skype app on your iPhone while on a foreign 3G data network.  Doing so with a US-based iPhone will mean lots of roaming data charges.  Most of the US carriers charge around US$ 15/megabyte to US$ 20/megabyte, measuring both the data received by your phone as well as data sent from your phone to the Internet.  There may be special data plans that reduce the "sticker shock" of using a foreign 3G network with a US-based phone, but you will still pay a lot for that privilege.  Look for WiFi wherever you can, as that will help you avoid the roaming data charges. 

As for making those calls, you can either pay for each call you make with Skype Credit, or purchase a subscription (or multiple subscriptions) covering calling to your desired destinations.  Skype's rates are based on where you call.  Your location doesn't matter.  If you don't think you will use Skype to make many phone calls, purchasing some Skype Credit may be the way to go.

If you want to call back to the States, Skype's per-call rates are 2.3 US cents/minute, plus a connection fee for each call.  This covers calling to both landline and mobile phones.  Calls to Alaska have a higher per-minute rate, 6 US cents/minute plus the connection fee per call.  If you think you will be calling back to the US a lot, you can go with the Unlimited USA & Canada subscription for US$ 2.99/month.  There is an Unlimited World subscription also available, but note that it would only cover calling to landline phones for European countries - not to mobiles.  It would cover calls to both landline and mobile phones in the US.  Click on "Pay as you go" and "Subscriptions" below to see rates for other countries - and keep in mind the different rates for landlines vs. mobiles in Europe, whether paying per call or with a subscription.

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 608
Message 5 of 8 (8,919 Views)

I will be travelling in Europe and will want to use Skype to call a number in Ontario, Canada. Will be using and IPAD or an IPOD wherever WI-FI is available. I know I need to buy SKYPE credits. When I dial the number do I need to put in the country code (00) followed by 1 and then the area code or does it know the country code based on the contact person I am calling and then do I just put in the 1 followed by the area code and number?

ugomicone
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 8 (8,864 Views)

ugomicone wrote:

I will be travelling in Europe and will want to use Skype to call a number in Ontario, Canada. Will be using and IPAD or an IPOD wherever WI-FI is available. I know I need to buy SKYPE credits. When I dial the number do I need to put in the country code (00) followed by 1 and then the area code or does it know the country code based on the contact person I am calling and then do I just put in the 1 followed by the area code and number?

The 00 (or the plus sign "+") is not the country code, but the code to identify an international call.  The digit 1 that follows the 00 or "+" would be the country code for Canada (as well as the USA and a few other places around the world).  Then you would dial the 3-digit area code and 7-digit phone number.

For example, to call a number in Toronto's 416 area code, you would dial 00 1 416 xxx-xxxx from Skype - even if you are in the same province, or city, as the number you are calling.  To call someone in Ottawa, dial 00 1 613 xxx-xxxx.  If you are needing to call a number in London's 020 area code, you would dial 00 44 20 xxxx-xxxx (44 is the UK country code, and you drop the leading zeroes from area/city codes unless it is an Italian landline number).  In all cases above, you can substitute the plus sign in place of the two zeros at the start of those example numbers. 

There is no concept of a "local" call with Skype, as all numbers are dialed using the international format - even if that number is a telephone in your hand, or in the same city as you are. 

Make sure to purchase Skype Credit, and it sounds like you're ready to go.  Feel free to make some test calls from home, so you can confirm everything works and you know what to expect when you use Skype to make those calls - even if you are only calling your own home or mobile phone.  Enjoy your trip!

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 608
Message 7 of 8 (8,860 Views)

I am in Italy and am trying to call a number in Italy. I enter +39 and the number (without using the leading zero) but Skype immediately rejects the call and says that the number is not valid. I have Skype credits, but not a calling plan. I also tried this when in France and received the same message.
Posted from Apple iPad
Lencoris
Reliable Tourist
Message 8 of 8 (1,626 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling