Skype incoming call ringtone - Change it?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype incoming call ringtone - Change it?

Using iOS 5.1 and skype 3.7.4 on a ipod Touch version 4;

When I get an incoming Skype call the ringtone is something from the skype app as far as I can tell. Why not use the iOS sound settings and let me choose the ring tone? And why is Skype using a ring tone that I can only characterize as something I would expect from a 13 old girl. Perhaps that's who's making the decisions over there at Skype headquarters. Not that 13 girls can't run the software development a bit better that what we've seen, just don't want her ringtone.

TheTOnyTOny
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 14
Message 1 of 17 (44,747 Views)

Re: Skype incoming call ringtone - Change it?

So I gues you cn't do anything about the ringtone or no one knows how?

TOnyTOny

TheTOnyTOny
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 14
Message 2 of 17 (44,618 Views)

No, apparently not. I have just downloaded the new Skype version for Mac and am bitterly disappointed - you cannot change sounds for anything and are stuck with their ugly default tunes. That, and there's some kind of Facebook **bleep** going on in the "Home" section.

name_name
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 17 (44,455 Views)

Did anyone get back to you with a solution to this matter? We have three laptops in the office and never know which one is ringing when we are not in front of them. Very annoying. There should be a choice of incoming ringtones from a drop down menu.
ja1944ta
Casual Tourist
Message 4 of 17 (44,371 Views)

Agreed, the default ringtone for incoming calls is alarmingly awful.  It's apocalyptic, no? Scary to think how many Skype employees (over a period of time) were complicit.

Now the good news: the ringtone (and almost every other notification sound) can be changed on a Mac this way:

Skype> Preferences> Notifications> Overview Tab> Event> Select 'Incoming Call'

Preview and select a sound.  Check the box if you want it to repeat rather than make the sound only once.  A repeating 'Tink' works for me.

As far as I know, there's still no way to change that awful default ringtone on my iPhone.

LK4000
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 17 (44,140 Views)

When arrange Skype a choise of ringtones from an easy menu?

We will be happy as can be

jan-65
Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 17 (44,008 Views)

please see this link http ://www. youtube.com/watch?v=FtJv2LOaAcg
aabshar72942
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 17 (43,890 Views)

Regarding above link:
Please be very careful when using third party software and allowing it access to your computer, iPhone/iPod and their applications. I've forwarded your feedback to our iOS product team.
Apple does not allow easily to integrate with the device's ringtone menu to avoid malicious applications interfering with the iPhone's core calling functions. There might be a work around though.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13498
Message 8 of 17 (43,871 Views)

seems to have been omitted/removed with version 5.8.0.1027
It is very frustrating
dbgraphics
Casual Tourist
Message 9 of 17 (42,596 Views)

Ikr but my friend has a gun as his ring???
Posted from Apple iPod Touch
Deadlykid
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 17 (37,024 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling