Skype calling on iPod Touch?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype calling on iPod Touch?

I have an iPod Touch and I frequently use Skype.  If I make a call to a contact from my iPod Touch, is it free?

crkcallie
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 21
Message 1 of 4 (356 Views)

Re: Skype calling on iPod Touch?

crkcallie wrote:

I have an iPod Touch and I frequently use Skype.  If I make a call to a contact from my iPod Touch, is it free?

If you call that contact using their Skype name, yes - it would be free.  If the call goes to a telephone number, then you would need to purchase Skype Credit or a subscription to cover the costs of the call to that number.  I use Skype on my iPod Touch, and it is a great way to turn that device into a phone - without the expense and hassle of dealing with an iPhone on a mobile network here in the US. 

Good luck!

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 559
Message 2 of 4 (351 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello and thank you for the information.  I will remember that.  I agree.  It does definitely eliminate the hassle of having to pay for cell phone service and data plan with an iPhone.

crkcallie
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 21
Message 3 of 4 (347 Views)

crkcallie wrote:

Hello and thank you for the information.  I will remember that.  I agree.  It does definitely eliminate the hassle of having to pay for cell phone service and data plan with an iPhone.

As long as you have access to WiFi, the iPod Touch is a powerful little device.  I have a hotspot app on my Nokia mobile phone, which lets me share access to the phone's data network to WiFi-capable devices like a laptop or my iPod Touch.  That worked very well last year in Australia, where I purchased a prepaid SIM with a data plan.  I didn't have to pay for Internet access in the hotels I stayed in, since I could serve up my own WiFi hotspot.  :happy:

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 559
Message 4 of 4 (343 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling