Iphone 4 with IOS 5.0.1 using the Skype test call. Signal and call clarity was excellent. Saw a strange UI issue when on the contact profile screen for the Test Call, a ghosted SMS window appeared below the VOICE CALL button. Upon returning to the profile, it was gone.
Call to Malta Vodaphone using local Malta number still prematurely stops ring tone after 4 rings while the call survives still ringing for a minute. This glitch appeared after Microsoft began changes under their watch.
Noticed the CALL button has moved position on the profile I call most, so pay attention where youre pressing. Sorry, I cant report yet if my calls arrive when it's in the background, havent tested this.
Tested call on iPad2 using iPad version of Skype, and the test call was excellent-same IOS 5.
Ok so im back with a review of the new update. I can say that I have been logged into Skype since the update and it has not crashed once, seems very stable. Call quailty is excellent, very clear, however that was on wifi so i cannot comment about 3g whilst on calls. Messages seem to be getting though fine, far as I can see no delays. Skypein calls are great Skype rings. I like it now we have the desktop ring tone much better.
Now when it comes to bluetooth im afraid the new update did not correct the issue. Bluetooth connects for about 10-20 seconds and then disconnects.
I emailed customer service and told them the issue and that I had done all the trouble shooting.
Un-installed Skype then Re-installed
Did a reset on my iphone before re-installing to completlwy remove anything that Skype may have left behind.
The first email back from them just completley insulted my intelegence. " Please make sure that you are next to your iphone when using bluetooth"
Of course I emailed them back and the second email was ...yes you guessed it
" To resolve the issue please update your IOS to iphone 5 (which I told them I am already up to date), then un-install and re-install Skype".
Seriously do they read emails? in my experience with Skype they dont, they just send out auto generated emails for any issue that you have. I distinctly told them I had done all the un-installing and re-installing.
So there you have it. There has been some great developments with the new update and I am happy with it. But sorry bluetooth users its a bust!
Many improvements, however improvements to the inteligence of customer support...No change!
22-02-2012 14:32 - edited 22-02-2012 14:42
when i try to sent a chat text and press enter it just goes to new line , i have to press Send on screen.
But I use bluetooth keyboard .
In earlier versions enter on keyboard did sent the message.
1. This version works in background without crashes, but while it runs "Usage" time is equal to "Standby" time in Settings->General->Usage and the battery level drops with ~3% per hour.
2. Bluetooth problem is not fixed (I'm not sure if it's dependent of the headset model, but it happens with mine). I noticed that it always works for incoming calls. But if I call someone, the headset connects for a second or two and then disconnects and Skype switches to the earpiece. Switching directly to bluetooth again does not work, but switching first to speakerphone and then to bluetooth works with a delay of several seconds.
23-02-2012 22:16 - edited 23-02-2012 22:36
2. Loading a group chat will result in a long wait before messages start to appear. After selecting the chat, there is about a 1 minute period of time where the app locks up (showing the list of chats with the selected chat highlighted). Then, once it gets past that, for about another minute or so, an activity spinner displays in the center of an otherwise blank page. Then, the spinner goes away and messages can be entered into the chat, but the page is still blank - no messages display (including the ones I send) for a long time. I haven't yet been patient enough to measure how long it takes for messages to start to appear. I just leave it in the background while it does its thing, and then hope by the time I get back to it that it's started to actually display the messages.
4. There is no way that I have found to edit or remove a message I sent from the conversation.
5. There is no way that I have found to join a conference call. I was actively watching a group conversation at the time that they started a call, and I did not even receive a Skype call prompt to pick up. It showed a light grey notification in-line with the chat that had a phone icon with an arrow pointing inward, along with the name of the person who they asked to start the call, and the time, but no button to answer or join or anything like that.
6. I can't figure out what causes this to start, but when it does, every time I leave Skype, I get a notification banner that says "Using another audio application ended your Skype call" even when I am not on a call. Even when there is no other audio application running.
7. I receive a blank "action" message if someone tries to send me a picture (as if they typed /me and then typed enter). Of course, since picture sending is not implemented in the app, it makes sense that there should be no notification of it and they should be told somehow that sending files is not supported, or something like that.
8. Online status indicators in the chat list stay "offline" (the Skype icon outline) upon connecting. As you know, everybody defaults to offline when you are not connected. However, the indicators are not updated to their current online status in the chat list unless I scroll them out of view and back. That is, when Skype connects and gets everybody's online statuses, those indicators do not update in the chat list. I go to the contacts page to verify that they are online, and go back to the chat list and they still appear "offline". Only when I go to the chat list and scroll past them and then back up do the online status indicators reflect the correct status.
All of the variables I can think of:
A. iPhone 4S 64gb with AT&T. Not jailbroken.
B. Connection is usually 3G due to sparse availability of wifi. However, wifi seems to have no effect when I do have it.
C. I am a participant in an active group chat (i.e. sometimes a hundred messages per hour or more)
D. I use background audio to listen to podcasts using the app Podcaster. I am not sure if this affects Skype in a different way than other kinds of background audio.
E. All notifications are enabled both in Settings -> Notifications and in Settings -> Skype
1. wtf happened to PENDING MESSAGE notification? even 1.1.5 (I finally caved in and updated - for the video despite all negative App reviews - do Skype even care what users are reflecting?) had pending messages in ITALICS, to let me know it's gonna be 3 days before the message gets through.
Is Microsoft trying to bury Skype?
I am very dissapointed with this update. The update broke bluetooth headset support on my G4 iPod touch, it was working pefectly with ver 3.6. I have been in contact with support and they said the problem was noticed after 3.7 was released, I sure hope it is fixed quickly as I rely on this setup for communicating while on the road. Is there an ETA for version 3.8?