Ipad mini video doesn't work

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Ipad mini video doesn't work

Hi,

I just bought a new Ipad mini, and I installed skype on it but the video doesn't work. The sound works on the skype, but when I call someone it just says "video initializing" and the video never connects. I am able to speak with them, but they cannot see me. My video webcam works on my ipad mini, just not on the skype program.

Please help with any suggestions as to why this is happening. Is this an apple problem or a skype problem?

Thank you!

timhorton
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 18 (24,175 Views)

Re: Ipad mini video doesn't work

[ Edited ]

Hello,

1- Are you using official Apple firmware (not jail broken) if yes which one is it please?

2- Have you checked if factory reset solves the issue?

3- What are your privacy settings for incoming calls?

4- When making calls have you both authorized each other?

5- Does video calling works if you use different skype id?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my answer was useful, please click on "Accept as Solution" to help others, thank you :happy:

Si ma réponse vous a aidé merci de cliquer sur "Accepter comme solution"

Cela pourra surement aider d'autres personnes qui ont le même problème :wink:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laurent95
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 509
Message 2 of 18 (24,012 Views)

Hello, my ipad mini is just a few weeks old, bought from the apple store. I am unsure what apple firmware means? Where can I chk my privacy settings for incoming calls? If it helps to understand my problem- the other party can see/hear me and I can hear them, but not see them. I can also see myself in little box on bottom right. Does this sound like a problem from possibly their end and not mine?
Posted from Apple iPad
Tanialynnk
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 18 (23,976 Views)

[ Edited ]

Apparently, this problem is on the other side, try to call an another person.

The privacy settings are not available in the current version of Skype for iOS device but you can check with a computer: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA140/how-do-i-manage-my-privacy-settings-in-skype-for-windows-desk...

Once this is done, the selected privacy settings will also apply to the iPad Mini.

If my answer was useful, please click on "Accept as Solution" to help others, thank you :happy:

Si ma réponse vous a aidé merci de cliquer sur "Accepter comme solution"

Cela pourra surement aider d'autres personnes qui ont le même problème :wink:

Laurent95
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 509
Message 4 of 18 (23,942 Views)

[ Edited ]
Dear Tim, did you ever solve it? I am having the same problem. Ipad mini with latest iOS and latest Skype.
Posted from Apple iPad
AnnieTheGranny
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 18 (20,333 Views)

I was having the same 'initializing' error. The answer is to:

1. find a computer (i.e. not your ipad) with Skype.

2. log in

3. Add your contacts. Even if already added on IPad. Add them on the computer.

4. You may or may not need to change your privacy settings depending on your preferences.

Apparently just adding them from the IPad does not work. You can voice call but not video until you add the contacts from a computer.

Mine is now working.

Bemini
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 18 (18,924 Views)

Thanks for that answer.

If this is indeed true, that would be obtuse.

My mum doesn't have a computer, she only has an iPad — so how the heck can she add me as a contact on a computer?

ALl such controls should be self evident and within Skype or, at the very least, the user should be prompted to the correct place from within Skype. It should never require a different device.

threesixty
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 18 (17,729 Views)

My mum's Skype account shows her video if she's using a laptop (borrowing my laptop).

But, if I'm talking to her on her iPad2, she can call me but her video does not show.

I can engage in successful video calls with other people (on computers, as far as I know).

There don't appear to be any controls available for Skype on the iPad, so we're at a loss.

(We're both listed as Skype contacts for each other).

threesixty
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 18 (17,721 Views)

Did she try adding you as a contact while she was borrowing your laptop? Once I went to my laptop and added the contact, even though I had added them from my IPad, it worked. Possible just a coincidence but I don't think so.
Posted from Apple iPad
Bemini
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 18 (17,712 Views)

Just to confirm...I have a mini and I also had to do the same thing for my husband's IPad (latest-not IPad2) on his Skype ID.
Posted from Apple iPad
Bemini
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 18 (17,687 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling