I thought skype was free

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

I thought skype was free

I also want to know if my iPhone account is no good can I use it by wifi?
Posted from Apple iPhone
Trina
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 15 (7,806 Views)

Re: I thought skype was free

Skype-to-Skype calls, video calls and IMs are free of charge.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1279
Message 2 of 15 (7,694 Views)

I'm also struggling to understand what calls are free.

If I make a Skype call from my iphone to another mobile that has Skype installed or to a computer with Skype installed - will it be free?

Does the other mobile have to have Skype "switched on", or will it automatically assume it is a Skype call?

Malc
Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 15 (7,666 Views)

SkypeCall can be made through SkypeSoftware with SkypeID.
Call from your SkypeID to the other person's SkypeID is free and this type of call can be made if SkypeSoftware is "switched on" at both end and SkypeID is on-line at both end.

I hope the above will give you a clearer view.

htrmc
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 182
Message 4 of 15 (7,636 Views)

Skype is telling me i have to pay $10 to make any call
Posted from Motorola MB525
Sam_Lassiter
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 15 (7,316 Views)

And right before it tells me that, it tells me its free!! Skype makes no sense!!
Posted from Motorola MB525
Sam_Lassiter
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 15 (7,313 Views)

As Primemover said earlier in this thread, Skype-to-Skype calls a free.  Skype calls to phone numbers require payment by the purchase of credits or a subscription.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 907
Message 7 of 15 (7,299 Views)

I am new to Skype and don't understand why I cannot make Skype to Skype-pc calls? It dials, then says I need credit. I also have the same issue when trying to send SMS's to the same PC number (contact). How do I know if my contact I am trying to reach on Skype is also signed in? Perhaps that is the problem? I want to be able to use this app from my cell phone as well as the software I downloaded onto my pc. Any information given would be appreciated.

ladybugg744
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 15 (7,206 Views)

If you're being told you need credits to make the call your trying, you'll calling a phone number rather than a Skype name.

To make a Skype-to-Skype call the person your calling has to be on your Contact list and you on theirs, and you both have to be onlne.

Sending an SMS message is not free so that would require you to have credits.

If you have Skype installed on your PC, it will probably be easier to manager your account there...adding contacts and such.  Any change you make on Skype on your PC will follow to the Skype app when you signin to it on your iPhone.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 907
Message 9 of 15 (7,195 Views)

Well, if skype to skype calls are free then I certainly cannot figure it out. I made a phone call today to another skype member through their skype name and it booted me off after 8 minutes saying that I needed to pay for credits to continue the convo. I am very disappointed with this as I was in a conference call; if it isn’t free to skype with another skype member then please do not advertise that it is. It is very frustrating! Thanks.

mizpaula
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 15 (7,122 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling