How to increase text font size?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to increase text font size?

[ Edited ]

Being one of millions of vision impared persons, I would like to find out how to increase font sizes on my iPhone or XOOM. They both seem to use the "mobile phone" version, and the text is so tiny, that its a strain with or without glasses. We need to be able to change the text size or use a xoom feature. If it's already there, please tell me, if no, please someone, add a function. 

From a blind old bat.

Carlina
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 9 (4,470 Views)

Re: Text size

Carlina wrote:

Being one of millions of vision impared persons, I would like to find out how to increase font sizes on my iPhone or XOOM. They both seem to use the "mobile phone" version, and the text is so tiny, that its a strain with or without glasses. We need to be able to change the text size or use a xoom feature. If it's already there, please tell me, if no, please someone, add a function. 

From a blind old bat.

Hi Carina, I'm 53 and well into reading-glasses stage.  I just raised a support ticket today asking the usability group to examine precisely what you posted (I doubt your post in an unofficial forum will garner much attention from Skype staff).

At the very least, Skype on the iPhone 4 should respect Settings > General > Accessibility > Large Text parameters (as it does for standard SMS).  I also think it should respect finger-gesture screen resizing (as the iPhone does with, for example, Safari).

Let's hope they pay some attention to this...

Kind regards,

Jim Mayer

United Nations, Geneva

Jim_Mayer
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 2 of 9 (4,358 Views)

I quite agree with both of you. My mother is 92 and experiencing vision difficulties. She has grandchildren scattered out around the globe. Skype would be a perfect program to help them keep in touch. However, the text and graphics are too small for her. As a result, we are seeking an alternative program. If successful, we will all migrate from skype. It would behoove skype to attend to this matter lest it lose a measure of its client base. But so far, various complaints posted on bulletin boards have gone unattended.
roncito4
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 9 (4,112 Views)

I too find the text size in Sykpe IM too small for comfortable reading. An option to increase text size (which already exists in most browsers) would be very welcome,

Dr_John
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 9 (3,572 Views)

Im 55 and cant use the txt feature on my iPhone becuase I cant read that tiny Font.

Its just wrong.

J35WildBill
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 9 (3,088 Views)

I totally agree! Even in my case where I am using a 24" srcreen, the text is way to small because the screen sits further away from me. It causes me to strain my already tired eyes....you would think this is a small thing, but it turns in to a major headache. 

kf1492
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 9 (2,789 Views)

Re: How to increase text font size?

The size of the on screen text is ridiculous and no matter what I do I can not make it bigger. I had an accident in 2013 and only now appreciate what visually impaired people have to go through

graham.molyneux
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (2,422 Views)

Carlina wrote:

From a blind old bat.

I have just decided to see if I could change the font and text size on Skype and I is actually quite easy.  Go to 'Tool' - Options - click IM & SMS on the left hand column - click 'IM apprarance' which now appears in the left hand column - then you will see in the main box the font and size you are currently using and the 'change font' box. Click on that and then set which ever font you want and whicever size you want. DON'T FORGET TO CLICK SAVE.  Job done - and my word it is so much easier. I hope that this helps you all.

4755Spike
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 9 (1,343 Views)

I recently found out how to do this, navigate to tools and click options. Select Chat and SMS select looks and from there you can change your font. When you have selected change font you also have the oppurtunity to change font size. 

I have a swedish version of skype so I cant promisse that my translation of the option names is a100% correct but I hope you find it regardless :happy:

wordlyw
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (1,259 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling