How to ACTUALLY disable message history?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to ACTUALLY disable message history?

I turned off message history on my desktop and it works as it should (as far as I can tell).  However whenever I login to skype on my iphone I am absolutely bombarded by old messages from the last 24 hours (give or take) that there isn't even supposed to be a history of.  As much as I am annoyed that skype is saving history that they're supposed to be discarding even worse is the fact that this useless excercise slows the app and my phone to absolute crawl.  Depending on how active I was just before signing in on the iphone it can take many minutes just to download all this useless junk.  Terrible!

Isn't there a way to disable this?

If I had it my way there would be an app for skype / iphone that only does calls and maybe SMS - none of this messaging nonsense.  Viber is a much better app all around but it doesn't have unlimited world subscriptions and skype in numbers that I know of. 

bh1979
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 24
Message 1 of 28 (11,983 Views)

Re: How to ACTUALLY disable message history?

You can't disable historic message synchronisation on the iOS app yet. I've forwarded your feedback to the development team.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 13453
Message 2 of 28 (11,862 Views)

That seems like a gaping privacy/security hole!

Not to mention this is just a useless obnoxious "feature" that nobody could possibly want.  If you've been active on skype it can slow your phone to a snail passed crawl for as much as 5 minutes if you've been very busy on Skype.  This is some seriously bad software design work for an application that should be so mature already. 

bh1979
Routine Adventurer
Message 3 of 28 (11,845 Views)

i too want to turn this "feature" off please.
nottech
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 28 (11,816 Views)

Such a behavior made me stop using skype on my iphone. I dont care about skype message history on my iphone at all. I would rather use it for calling, and by no means for browsing my chat history.

The way it is implemented now, I have to wait like 10 minutes until the message sync is completed just to start using the app. It really sucks by a large margin.

Hope it gonna be fixed asap.

Thank you.

theoldgentleman
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 28 (11,736 Views)

IPHONE SKYPE

1.  I LOST MY MESSAGES HISTORY AS I UPGRADED THE SKYPE IN MY IPHONE, TERRIBLE, IT WAS SO IMPORTANT!!!!! :sad:  CAN I SOMEHOW RECEIVE IT BACK?

2.  BEFORE I KNEW WHEN MY WRITTEN MESSAGES REACHED THE ADDRESSEE (IN THE COMPUTERS IT IS JUST CIRCLE, HERE HOW COULD WE RECOGNISE IT?  IT IS LOVELY FUTURE!!!!!

3.  WHY I CANNOT TRANSFER FILES IN MY IPHONE?  OTHTER TELEPHONES CAN DO IT WITHOUT PROBLEM

4.  HOW CAN I COPY MESSAGES IN THE NEW VERSION OF SKYPE IN THE PHONE?  IN THE OLD ONE THERE WAS NO PROBLEM.  IF I CANNOT, CAN I DOWNLOAD THE OLD VERSION OF SKYPE FOR IPHONE?

THANKS FOR A PROMPT ANSWER, ALEX

ceeres_ola
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 28 (11,708 Views)

Re: IPHONE SKYPE

How exactly is it that skype gets away with having a "disable message history" feature on the desktop when in reality they're doing no such thing and secretly storing all of your history anyway?  How does that work?

bh1979
Routine Adventurer
Message 7 of 28 (11,702 Views)

I was just wondering if there was ever an iPhone solution for this?????? It's been quite some time and I can't find any solution on the website for this. This problem is still occurring and it is quite possibly the most annoying/frustrating thing to have to go in and open to view or delete the conversation. #ANNOYING
cherinicol
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 8 of 28 (11,461 Views)

I have the same problem like the one on the first post.

There shoudn't even be a history of what I write.

Is there a way to solve this?

Thanks

oartrtr
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 9 of 28 (10,154 Views)

This is SO annoying, even on Windows you set it to not save history, yet it will AND bombard you when you login elsewhere.

So lame - its a terrible bug and a horrible nuisance and invasion of privacy, get your act together MS owned Skype!
Ramonster
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 10 of 28 (9,393 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling