Does it cost extra to use Skype on iPhone?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Does it cost extra to use Skype on iPhone?

Hi, I am just wondering if there are any additional fees associated with using Skype on the smart phone and how will I be curved for the calls (will that come out from my Skype account or will it be added to my phone bill)?
Posted from Apple iPhone
0 Kudos
Skinsbeatdallas
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (35,782 Views)

Re: Does it cost extra to use Skype on iPhone?

Hi,

Normally using Skype on your iPhone workes the same way it does on a PC/Mac. Meaning that Skype to Skype calls are free and that if you use Skype to make calls to phones (and not Skype clients on PC/Mac/iPhone/Android etc) you will need Skype credit to place those calls.

The main difference between using Skype on your phone (iPhone, Android, Symbian or whatever) vs your PC is that Skype on your phone will use data against your data plan you have with your cell-phone provider. When you use your PC, the data used by Skype is most likely to come from your broadband provider which usually have more or less unlimited plans.

If you plan to use Skype a lot (or any other App that uses data on your phone, like e-mail/Safari web browzing etc) you should make sure that you have a data plan with your cell phone provider. That way you will get a bucket of included data and depending on how much you use, you should not have to pay per bit/minute.

nik_dc
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 49
Message 2 of 8 (35,658 Views)

Great informative answer!
0 Kudos
MissNat-Nat
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 8 (34,338 Views)

Hey I would like to know if I use Skype on my iPod would there be any charges if I ring international Skype users or UK Skype users would the charge come on my Internet bill?
Posted from Apple iPod Touch
0 Kudos
Riikhan786
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 8 (26,360 Views)

If you are calling other Skype users, no matter where they are, then there are no charges from Skype, as Skype to Skype calls are free.

You'll need Skype Credit or a subscription to call phone numbers from Skype.

Skype charges do not appear on your internet bill.
0 Kudos
Kadri
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 220
Message 5 of 8 (26,264 Views)

Trying to call an android cell phone from my iPhone 5 with Skype & it keeps saying I don't have enough credit. Both phones are in the USA. The android uses Skype successfully now. What's the deal? They are not free calls as Skype claims?
Posted from Apple iPhone
0 Kudos
KandBGma
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (22,888 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Skype-to-Skype calling is free on your device, just like it is on your computer. But if you call mobiles and landlines from the Skype application, you will need a little Skype Credit or a subscription.

To make a Skype-to-Skype call on your phone: 

1- Sign in to Skype. 

2- Select the Contacts tab. 

3- Choose a contact from your contacts list and click on Call

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my answer was useful, please click on "Accept as Solution" to help others, thank you :happy:

Si ma réponse vous a aidé merci de cliquer sur "Accepter comme solution"

Cela pourra surement aider d'autres personnes qui ont le même problème :wink:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Laurent95
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 510
Message 7 of 8 (22,838 Views)

0 Kudos
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1471
Message 8 of 8 (4,651 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling