Do I need BOTH Skype and Skype WIFI apps for my ip...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Do I need BOTH Skype and Skype WIFI apps for my iphone?

I have Skype app on my iphone.  Will it automatically use my WIFI rather than my data when I am connected to WIFI?

Do I have to have both Skype and Skype WIFI and switch between them when I am/am not in a WIFI area?

Telling me it works with Skype doesn't tell me how to make sure it doesn't use my data. 

nik_dc
Experienced Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Hi,

I realize it can be a little confusing but the two apps are for completely different purposes.

The Skype App is for Skyping as most people know it. Whether the data goes over 3G or WiFi is up to your phone settings.

The Skype WiFi App is a special app that makes it possible for you to use your Skype Credit (if you have any) to pay for WiFi access in hotels/airports etc, where the WiFi is not free. You can then use the Skype WiFi App to pay for this access instead of a credit card or similar.

If you want to Skype, you still need to use the normal iPhone App.

Good luck...

View solution in original post
FUSkype
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 1 of 12 (31,167 Views)

Re: Do I need BOTH Skype and Skype WIFI apps for my iphone?

Hi,

I realize it can be a little confusing but the two apps are for completely different purposes.

The Skype App is for Skyping as most people know it. Whether the data goes over 3G or WiFi is up to your phone settings.

The Skype WiFi App is a special app that makes it possible for you to use your Skype Credit (if you have any) to pay for WiFi access in hotels/airports etc, where the WiFi is not free. You can then use the Skype WiFi App to pay for this access instead of a credit card or similar.

If you want to Skype, you still need to use the normal iPhone App.

Good luck...

nik_dc
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 51
Message 2 of 12 (30,992 Views)

I hate to tell you but this is TERRIBLY POORLY EXPLAINED in both Skype Wifi and Skype App.  how about a little plain english, please, for these...

THANKS

nicko13
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 3 of 12 (19,900 Views)

nicko13 wrote:

I hate to tell you but this is TERRIBLY POORLY EXPLAINED in both Skype Wifi and Skype App.  how about a little plain english, please, for these...

THANKS

I agree!! Thanks for posting this question

gekko77
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 12 (17,730 Views)

I think it was explained perfectly i fully understand Skype and Skype wifi
Posted from Apple iPod Touch
Google241
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 12 (17,406 Views)

Paying for Skype with wifi app was a good idea. Its time has passed. Most hot spots are free.

Posted from Microsoft Windows RT Tablet
vernon8
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 6 of 12 (17,311 Views)

If the wifi in a hotel is not free, how is Skype permitted to access it without prompting me for a day pass?

Cranberryopah
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 12 (16,112 Views)

So, if I buy a subscription to call the Netherlands , I can call using my wi-fi in my home instead of my data??
My son says I can't because I have an iPhone and Apple won't allow it.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Dutch_lady
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 12 (16,067 Views)

I have to Agree with the prior Agreement that the poster is 100% correct, is TERRIBLY poorly explained, not intuitive and has always been a what the heck is that all about until I read the posters explanation.

ArmoredTank
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 12 (10,208 Views)

I have been using skype on different iPhones for years over wifi, don't use data. Turn off cellular and 3g in general settings and wifi on, anywhere and anytime its available. Your son probably thinks he knows more because you know less.

feeljj
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 12 (4,391 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling