Re: Deactivate emoticons??

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deactivate emoticons??

Just downloaded the update for Skype on iPhone 5 with IOS7 and now some of the smilies I use is now taken by emoticons, and it never was like that...! ':3' will be shows to me like (cat) and '<3' will be shown as a animated heart. My friends see it normal, but not me!
I never use emoticons because I hate them, so please is it posible to deactivate them somehow???
Because it's really annoying for me
Posted from Apple iPhone
EloMuffe
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 11 (3,273 Views)

I would also like to deactivate them, the option's there on the desktop version and I can't imagine it would be hard to have an option to just display everything exactly as it's posted and not convert them to pictures.
Posted from Apple iPad
Obrum
Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 11 (3,249 Views)

Hello I have iPhone 3 and I want to install emotions how can I do this?
Posted from Apple iPhone
asf
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 11 (3,244 Views)

I have the same problem.

:3 ends up always as (cat).

Funny is, that only I cann see this on my iPhone. On my PC there still is :3.

I'm curious if this is a bug or  it is supposed to look like this. I hope with the next patch they will get it right.

As far as I know, this came with the last update of Skype and it is not relevant if you have iOS 6 or 7.

Regitus
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 11 (3,202 Views)

Hate emoticons! Gasp! Kidding... : ) well, i think u can't.. So search the web for answers! Ok?
Posted from Apple iPad
Celestia
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 11 (3,194 Views)

I already did search the web. This is something new, so I couldn't find anything useful.

The funny part is, that the change from :3 --> (cat) is jsut text based. (cat) is not an animated emoticon. So I guess it would be useless deactivating emoticons.

Regitus
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 11 (3,189 Views)

I also get (cat) and I told my friends to stop sending the cat emoticon cos my iPhone doesn't show it, and it's just text "(cat)". They tell me they're only sending :3 which I can see on my computer, but not when I'm on my iPhone. Also this is the only thing that came up when I searched...

Akya
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 11 (3,154 Views)

Yeah I know.. that's why I made this post.. because it really annoyes the crap out of me!!! So I hope that they will make an update soon which will fix this problem.. because.. it's.. 'I-wanna-rip-my-hair-out'-annoying!

EloMuffe
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 8 of 11 (3,148 Views)

Anyone find a fix for this? I am not a fan of :3 being converted to (cat). If I wanted (cat) I would have typed it.
Posted from Apple iPhone
Tiredofcat
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 11 (2,994 Views)

I don't mind emoticons except for (a), (b), (c) which I use all the time to mean: these are our options. I can use (1) etc., except that might imply a priority sequence.  Can I suggest that (a) .. (f) are interpreted as is, and emoticons only use (g) upwards?

drtimcooper
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 11 (2,962 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling