Re: Skype on WiFi in Europe

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Skype on WiFi in Europe

[ Edited ]

I will be traveling to the UK and France and will be using locally-purchased SIM cards (Orange) in an unlocked iPhone.

I've read several posts on how you can use Skype over Wi-Fi in Europe on an iPhone to call the US. But, when I asked Skype support this question, they indicated it wasn't possible.  Here was their response (which I don't have a lot of faith in!): "Unfortunately this option is not currently available in Skype." 

So, my question is: If I put my iPhone in "Airplane" mode (i.e., no cell service) and am using Wi-Fi, will I be able to place calls to the UK, France and/or the US landlines/cell phones?? Has anyone done this successfully??

thanks,

bert

g4pilut
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Yes, you will indeed be able to make calls to wherever.

As always, Skype-to-Skype calls will be free (as long as you're not paying for data) and calls to landlines or mobiles will be the same as they would be from anywhere else depending on whether you're using a subscription or Skype credits.

View solution in original post
bertsirkin
Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 9 (7,915 Views)

Yes, you will indeed be able to make calls to wherever.

As always, Skype-to-Skype calls will be free (as long as you're not paying for data) and calls to landlines or mobiles will be the same as they would be from anywhere else depending on whether you're using a subscription or Skype credits.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 2 of 9 (7,897 Views)

I am leaving for the UK in 2 days and have had a hard time getting a straight answer on how to use Skype to call mobile phones and landlines (non-Skype numbers) in the US while I'm gone. 

I went ahead and got Skype to Go numbers for myself and for all the numbers I'd like to call in the US.  I have downloaded SkypeMobile to my phone. 

My Iphone 3GS will be on Airplane mode the entire time I'm gone.   My plan was to open Skype Mobile while I'm gone and call the Skype to Go numbers in the US.   Will this setup allow me to make calls okay?   I have some Skype credit and don't mind paying a little fee per call, just don't want to be charged big fees.   Also, I wondered if people will be able to call my Skype To Go number and get me without me having to pay for airtime on my cell or pay big Skype fees.   

0 Kudos
dee708
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 9 (7,789 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm a little confused by your question but let me take a stab and getting an answer going.

Skype Mobile is only available for Verizon phones.  I'm guessing what you actually have installed on your iPhone 3GS is the Skype iPhone app.  If so, you can make calls to the U.S. using your Skype credits at about 2.3¢ per minute plus a 3.9¢ connection fee per call.  No additional charges as long as you do have your phone in airplane mode and are getting data free via wifi.

An alternative would be to get a monthly subscription for U.S. calls.  See the rates here:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/prices/pay-monthly/

In the scenario I described, you don't need Skype-to-Go numbers.  You'd just dial the phone numbers in question directly at the above rates.   

Lastly, if you want callers to be able to call you with no charge to them, you need a Skype Online number.  Callers would dial that U.S. number and Skype would ring on your iPhone.

A Skype online number costs $18 for 3 months, or $60/year, or $30/year, $12/3 months if you have any type of subscription.

To get an online number, logon to your account in a PC web browser.  There's a list of features at the top of the page and Online Number is one of them.

I hope this helps.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 9 (7,782 Views)

Thanks for your response.   I do have a Skype subscription (US and Canada) and a Skype phone number.   We use it for our home phone number along with Netgear Skype handsets.   I just didn't think I'd be able to call non-skype users on their mobile and landline phones unless they had a Skype To Go number.   As far as them calling me, if I forward my home Skype number to my mobile phone, will that work?   I also have a Skype To Go number associated with my cell phone that is in my home area code.   If they call it, will they have long distance charges?  Am I making this way too complicated? :0

0 Kudos
dee708
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 9 (7,771 Views)

Okay, I just did a test call from the Skype on my phone and I think I'm finally understanding how it all works!   I also plan to forward my Skype online number to my cell phone and it should ring me through the Skype program on my phone when I'm in a wifi area.  As long as I have my phone in Airplane mode I should not incur any cell charges.   Does this all sound correct?

0 Kudos
dee708
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 9 (7,770 Views)

I think you've got it.  The bottom line is it doesn't matter where you are in the world if you have free data.  A Skype call in or out will work the same in Europe as it does when you're home.   However it works here...it will work there.

Have a good trip.  :happy: 

0 Kudos
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 9 (7,768 Views)

In order to use skype with WiFi in Europe I was instructed to login into skype and go to "Tools" in the menu bar to access wifi. Do you mean to do this on my home computer before I leave the country? Because there is NO option for a menu bar while you are logged into skype on your phone. Please advice, thank you
0 Kudos
sirikarta
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 9 (6,736 Views)

So if I read the various posts correctly, just to clarify, If my daughter is in Europe, and has a free WI-FI data connection at her hotel or coffee shop, she should be able to do a Skype to Skype video call from her Android WI-FI tablet, to my Android Phone (Either with me on WI-FI or thru my Verizon Data plan without having to do anything special other than going to her contacts and selecting me in her contacts?

Also one other question. If you are doing Skype to Skype, there should be no charges regardless of Voice or Video call, as long as you are not trying to connect to a landline or mobile number. Correct?

0 Kudos
georacz1
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (6,649 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling