Skype no longer runs properly in the background on...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype no longer runs properly in the background on iPhone 4 with iOS 5.01

If skype is running in the background I don't get notifications of messages (I don't really want them anyway) or calls (I do want them).  It used to work fine but it doesn't work at all anymore.  I have the notifications turned on the settings, I have sign in automatically and I have sign out never.  If someone calls or messages while skype is not in the foreground nothing happens.  As soon as I open skype (bring it to the foreground) I see all kinds of missed calls. 

If skype is open and in the foreground I receive the calls no problem.

Why is this happening and how do I fix it?  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling skype and it didn't help at all.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
bh1979
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 24
Message 1 of 21 (4,331 Views)

Re: Skype no longer runs properly in the background on iPhone 4 with iOS 5.01

I'm having the same problem: iPhone 4S with iOS 5.0.1

Please use plain text.
brizone
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 29
Message 2 of 21 (4,175 Views)

I think I found it: go to Settings, Notifications, and make sure that you have notifications configured for Skype. Seems to be working now.
Please use plain text.
brizone
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 29
Message 3 of 21 (4,172 Views)

That was it.  I didn't realize there were two different places to set notifications (kind of dumb isn't it?).

Now here is the big question.  Can I make it so I only get notifications for calls and not messages?  I hate when my phone is buzzing and vibrating every time somebody sends me a message.  It's super annoying.

Also is there a way to stop chat history from being sent to my phone?  Even though I have history completely disabled on my desktop whenever I log in on my phone all the history comes in at once and it slows the phone to a crawl.  It's terrible.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
bh1979
Routine Adventurer
Message 4 of 21 (4,159 Views)

I have changed both notifications in settings and skype and STILL it doesn't work... its supposed to be on all the time running in the background, but I only see missed calls and messages when its in the foreground... help pls...
Please use plain text.
turner
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 21 (4,151 Views)

I had the same problem but noticed that on my iphone my status in skype was set to "offline" when I changed it to "online" all my notifications started coming in.

0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
rev_djb
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 21 (4,087 Views)

I have the same xact problems.  I have all my notifications on (in both places) and my setting is to never log off and auto sign  in.  Yet after a while if I go check the app, it'll show that I'm offline.  WTF?!?!?!  Then I have to start the app again and then again will be online for a little bit of time and be kicked offline again.  I havent ever seen what that idle time is that it kicks you off.  

would love a fix to this! very annoying!!!

0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
saipiyer3506
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 21 (4,005 Views)

Hi, 

Our development team is aware of the problems around background running and notifications and we are currently trying to fix it. Unfortunately it is not possible to tell you when exactly it will be fixed. 

Please keep an eye on our blogs and on iTunes updates.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

-----
If answer was helpful please give Kudos and if issue is resolved mark it with solution for other users. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Mart
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 212
Message 8 of 21 (3,552 Views)

It would be a big help if this problem gets solved. Everytime I run the application in the background i get signed out.
0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
colorblind
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 21 (3,514 Views)

Please while you're at it make a way to turn off message notifications.  I want calls not message notifications on my phone.  Make the app work more like Viber!

0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
bh1979
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 21 (3,497 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling