Skype for iPad has arrived

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype for iPad has arrived

[ Edited ]

Skype for iPad has finally arrived:

Skype for iPad is beautifully designed and optimized for the iPad. It offers the best of both worlds for users who want a larger Skype experience, on-the-go. The large iPad screen is perfect for bringing Skype video calls to life, in either landscape or portrait view, and because it is on the iPad, Skype video calls can be made at the beach, in a car or even lying on a couch.

I don't have an iPad myself but I'd probably take it somewhere into the beautiful german Alps and trying hard to get cell reception to do some panoramic videocalling. Where will you try out your new Skype for iPad videocalling?

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12596
Message 1 of 58 (7,870 Views)

Re: Skype for iPad has arrived

Skype for iPad looks good.  I would welcome a status indicator on the main screen, right next to my name, so that I wouldn't have to click on it to see whether I am "online", "invisible", etc.

I also noticed a funny bit on this forum:  its spell check doesn't recognize the words "Skype" and "iPad" :happy:

Grzegorz_M
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 2 of 58 (7,806 Views)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I ran into a small problem, though, and I don't know if it's me that's doing something wrong.  I installed the Skype app the first time, and it looked great!  However, when I signed in again, my status and contacts bar were all gone.  The only thing visible was the tags screen.  It also won't rotate.  I deleted and installed it again, and I got the same result.

Anyway, I'm glad that Skype has finally come to iPad, but I want to be able to use it.  

Nevertheless, I'm extremely happy that Skype is finally on iPad.

adiaz80
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 58 (7,732 Views)

The newest iPad release of Skype (1.0.1273) seems to crash the Mac version of Skype (5.2.1572) when receiving a video call (or a call). I'm running a 2.2GHz mid-2007 MacBook Pro on OS X 10.7 Lion. If I'm signed into both Skype clients, on the iPad and Mac and receive a video call, Skype for Mac crashes as soon as you start the call. Closing Skype on the iPad allows the Mac client to receive and start the call. Anyone else experience this?
0 Kudos
bg_curl
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 4 of 58 (7,662 Views)

Wow the iPad version is worse than using the iPhone version with it's terrible keyboard. The chats take hours to load, there is no way to skip the loading process, and once it's all loaded you will often find yourself at the beginning of the chat with no way to scroll to the bottom save scrolling through page after page of chat. Did anyone try the software out before releasing it?
Posted from Apple iPad
rschierl
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 58 (7,583 Views)

I've been using skype on ipad since I bought one 18 months ago. The new skype for ipad doesn't show contacts last activity, or their contacts, and doesn't allow one to show one's status. What's so good about that?
0 Kudos
keytapper
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 58 (7,485 Views)

I tried it but once I entered the chat (text chat) view I couldn't find any way (button, gesture, etc) to get back to the main screen. Has Anybody had the same problem? I'm I doing something wrong?

juanmikalef
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 58 (7,416 Views)

You can set your Skype status message from the page where you click your photo/name in the top left corner.

0 Kudos
Heather
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 25
Message 8 of 58 (7,349 Views)

I have the same issue and did the same as you (re-installed the app), but the same thing happened again (cannot get back to the main menu and the settings; my Skype remains stuck on the IM full screen window of my last chat). No buttons or else ways to close this window. That is one nasty bug...
0 Kudos
ImpactedMan
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 58 (7,314 Views)

I have the same issue and did the same as JUANMIKALEF hereinafter (re-installed the app), but the same thing happened again (cannot get back to the main menu and the settings; my Skype remains stuck on the IM full screen window of my last chat). No buttons or else ways to close this window. That is one nasty bug... Did some IT or ADMIN take care to try and/or test this app before launching it officially? BTW I have an iPad2 with the latest iOS update.
0 Kudos
ImpactedMan
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 10 of 58 (7,313 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling