Skype 4.0 for iOS - Stability, Look, Accessibility

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: Skype 4.0 for iOS - Stability, Look, Accessibility

New update is a total failure so far - iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.  The new app refuses to recognize my username/password that works fine here at the website.  I'm in Korea on travel and have been relying on Skype for calling my family in the US.  Looks like that's out of the question. 

I did check and find my account balance had run down to $0.63, and I boosted back to over $10.  The app still won't accept my username/password.

Guess I'll be giving this a single star at the iTunes App store.

0 Kudos
treborg55
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 11 of 29 (1,080 Views)

@treborg55: try deleting Skype from your iphone and reinstalling it again. That might help. Skype 4.0 did work for me, but bluetooth was still broken. If you have an older backup copy of skype (skype.ipa) you can reinstall that. That's what I did... reinstalled skype 3.5.117 and now it works with bluetooth again.

0 Kudos
nwtrekker
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 12 of 29 (1,072 Views)

The new app requires a hard reset (home and power buttons held down until an Appke logo appears). First time in years I've found an app requiring this. Poor software design.
0 Kudos
treborg55
Casual Adventurer
Message 13 of 29 (1,041 Views)

There are plenty of people who wish to skype with 4.2.1 and older versions. I don't know what the reason is to why the older versions were completely scrapped, but I urge you to let us older users to have a choice to download older versions. Sorry to be completely off-topic about the subject, but it would make a lot of us older skype users happy.

0 Kudos
Velison
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 14 of 29 (973 Views)

Similar problems. iOS 5.1, updated just a couple of days ago to Skype 4.0.1303(4.0.0.1303) and though this seemed to resolve one problem with previous version - namely dropping an outgoing call as soon as a recipient picked, it introduced a new problem which ironically the update blurb suggested it was fixing (relating to auto sign on but not that I experienced it before) - namely that each time I go to the App after having say moved to a new Wi-Fi location I have to manually log in and sometimes I get a DB_IO_error (from memory) and it refuses to sign me in. With some persistence I manage to get logged in after a while but clearly this is a serious failing 

0 Kudos
kzkaram
Routine Adventurer
Message 15 of 29 (966 Views)

bad update. this version signs me out after not using for few hours. (i have set sign out never and auto sign-in in the settings). Please fix.
Posted from Apple iPad
0 Kudos
tattyoli
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 16 of 29 (933 Views)

I wish I could go back to the older version. I am in spain making calls to U.S. phone numbers. Before the update the calls were fine. After the update people on the other end of the call have a very hard time hearing me. They constantly say the call is breaking up. That they can't hear me. Sometimes people answer and literally hear nothing while I can hear them perfectly. 

I am on iOS 5.1, have uninstalled Skype, and then re-installed with no success. I see people suggesting a hard reboot. Do I uninstall skype, then reboot? Do I reboot without doing anything else? I need help and this is extremely frustrating.

0 Kudos
mrjoef
Novel Tourist
Message 17 of 29 (926 Views)

This version totally breaks skypeout on my iPhone 4 with ios5.1. Every time I dial out it gets half way through the dial 'tones' and then says the call ended. Restarting the app didnt help. Rebooting the phone didn't help. Help?
Posted from Apple iPad
0 Kudos
Williamsdyyz
Novel Adventurer
Message 18 of 29 (856 Views)

does anyone know where i can get the version 4.2.1 again? this one isn't compatible with my currently ipod

0 Kudos
dollfayce
Novel Adventurer
Message 19 of 29 (844 Views)

Skype 4.0 is a failure. Never use it!

Does not work on iPhone 3G.

Please Bring back the old version.

0 Kudos
Aeng
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 20 of 29 (823 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling