Receiving calls on both iphone and PC simultaneous...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Receiving calls on both iphone and PC simultaneously

Hi Guys,

Just joined this forum and just purchased an online number from skype.

My question is;

Is it possible I can receive calls both on my iphone and PC at the same time so that if I'm not at my PC I can pick up on my iphone? Currently it only rings on my PC. When I click on skype on my iphone it seems to go through a login process each time which prevents me from receiving in coming calls.

Also are calls coming in on my new online number directed to my skype name which is paulgorman135. i.e. is it all the same service or are they totally different when it comes to receiving calls? I'm just a little bit confused about this.

Lastly, there is an option in skype to divert calls to another number. As I just use my iphone (that has skype app on it already) is it also necessary to divert calls to my actual iphone number and do I have to pay for receiving calls this way.

All big questions but I would be grateful for any help,

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

0 Kudos
paulgorman135
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (3,773 Views)

Re: Receiving calls on both iphone and PC simultaneously

paulgorman135 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Just joined this forum and just purchased an online number from skype.

My question is;

Is it possible I can receive calls both on my iphone and PC at the same time so that if I'm not at my PC I can pick up on my iphone? Currently it only rings on my PC. When I click on skype on my iphone it seems to go through a login process each time which prevents me from receiving in coming calls.

Also are calls coming in on my new online number directed to my skype name which is paulgorman135. i.e. is it all the same service or are they totally different when it comes to receiving calls? I'm just a little bit confused about this.

Lastly, there is an option in skype to divert calls to another number. As I just use my iphone (that has skype app on it already) is it also necessary to divert calls to my actual iphone number and do I have to pay for receiving calls this way.

All big questions but I would be grateful for any help,

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Going through your questions....

1. It should be possible to receive calls on both your PC and iPhone when someone either calls your Online Number or your Skype account name.  The iPhone app does not save your password, so you have to reenter it everytime you start it up.  Make sure to put the Skype app in the iPhone's Notification Center, enable an alert (banner on the top of the screen, or a larger alert on the middle of the screen), and enable all other options.  This will let you keep the Skype app in the background on the phone, yet have it ring for incoming calls of all sorts to your Skype account.

2. Calls to your Online Number will be received by the Skype account you used when purchasing the number.  It is not a separate service.  The main difference you may see is that calls to the Online Number may show you the caller's phone number (Caller ID) instead of a Skype account name.

3. You can use Call Forwarding to divert incoming calls to your Skype account (to your Online Number, or your Skype account name) out to another Skype account or phone number.  To divert calls to phone numbers, you will need to purchase some Skype Credit or a subscription that covers calling to the desired phone number. Diverting calls to another Skype account name is free.

If you run Skype on your iPhone with whatever data connection you have (3G or WiFi), it is not necessary to forward the calls to your iPhone's mobile number.  You'd have to purchase Skype Credit or a subscription from Skype to cover calling to your mobile number, and you may be using minutes on your mobile's plan or paying for the incoming call if it does not provide for unlimited incoming voice calls.  You would also want to make sure that the data plan with your mobile carrier will allow for your Skype usage, as exceeding a monthly data plan may become pricey real fast. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 641
Message 2 of 7 (3,758 Views)

Hi wd9ewk,

Just to day thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

paul.

0 Kudos
paulgorman135
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (3,754 Views)

paulgorman135 wrote:

Hi wd9ewk,

Just to day thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

paul.

Glad to help, and thanks for the kudos for my earlier post.

Patrick

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
0 Kudos
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 641
Message 4 of 7 (3,750 Views)

i just posted a question like that the other day and no one replied.

when im in the same room under a wifi network that is the same one that connects straight to the computer skype is on - it will ring on both places.

if i leave home and skype is open on the computer - i will not get calls (on 3G)

if i leave, but shut down skype on the computer - it will ring (on 3G).

why is it like that??

0 Kudos
avishaitzur
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 7 (3,744 Views)

Hi avishaitzur,

That sounds about right. It seems like Skype will priortise pc over cell phone. I had the same experience yeaterday. I was at my pc and both iphone and pc rang on an incoming call and both are coming off same wifi. So it seems we have to remember to close wifi on out pc if we are out and about. Pain in the butt... if you find any other solutions please let me know and thanks for your  post.

paul

0 Kudos
paulgorman135
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 7 (3,735 Views)

hey paul,

same applies for you and i dont know how it doesn't bother way more people.

i hope an update will sort it out somehow. it seems pretty baisic, i mean, if they knew about it they would solve it pretty easily i think. 

i close skype when im out, it's just one thing extra that i wish i wouldn't have to do.

people reccomend checking all the notification stuff , to make sure it's right - cause there's a famouse post about how skype on iphone 4 after ios5 won't ring. maybe they have a different problem or they are actually not realizing that i only happens when skype on their pc was left open.

all the best,

Avishai

avishaitzur
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 7 (3,734 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling