I have a problem with Skype on my IPAD. I can connect to the internet through a proxy server. I setup the address of the proxy server, Safari works fine. But the Skype app can't log in. What may be the problem? Please help me with a solution.
unfortunately Skype for iPad does currently not support connecting through a Proxy server. There is no workaround available, and it's currently not possible to tell you when or if it will be supported.
I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.
This is causing major problems for a web filtering company's.
I currently work for a major web filtering company and so far these are the major issues:
1) schools are buying IPads and need HTTPS connections filtered, to get skype to work we have to allow https out unfiltered. Opens up issues with kids being able to access pornography, proxy bypass sites and other undesirable content.
2) As stated software will not use the IPad manual proxy settings
3) As stated the skype software does not support IPad's Auto Configuration script settings
4) Skype software does not support being transparently sent through a proxy when accessing port 80
5) Skype software does not support being transparently sent though a proxy when accessing port 443
Other issues with Skype is the self generated certificates that are used, this then means filtering cannot block based on certificates as these will be invalid.
We are also experiencing the same problem in the University I work for. We were hoping to use either Skype or FaceTime on iPads for conferencing, communication between sites, etc, but unfortunately neither are options because of the proxy problem (on Skype) or the number of ports required to be opened on our corporate firewall (for FaceTime).
Really hope Skype fixes this soon.