Re: Online Number

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Online Number

I am considering getting an online number, the ? i have is if i do not have access to a computer in my travels can i still take calls based on the criteria set out for an online number on my Iphone.IE Local call for the person calling me and local rate

Regards

Ian

g4pilut
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Yes, you can accept calls to your Online Number via the Skype app on your iPhone.  It won't matter where you're located (with a very few exceptions) as long as you have a decent Internet connection.

View solution in original post
Ian59
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 445
Message 1 of 12 (70,464 Views)

Yes, you can accept calls to your Online Number via the Skype app on your iPhone.  It won't matter where you're located (with a very few exceptions) as long as you have a decent Internet connection.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 941
Message 2 of 12 (70,456 Views)

great Thank you for prompt reply , I do assume the call will be local to the caller to me where i am ?

( sorry no better way of saying that )

Ian59
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 12 (70,461 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ehhh....I'm not sure I understand that last.

If someone is calling your Online Number it won't matter to them where you are when you answer the call.  It also won't matter to you where you are.   :happy:

That's the way Skype works and I think that's as clear as I can make it.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 12 (70,458 Views)

Aplogies just thought of this if you could indulge me, do i have to using the Skype wifi service for this service or will my standard data bundle and internet ( 3G ) connection be as suitable and lastly what is Skye wifi why would i need to access Skype wifi.
Thank you
Ian59
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 12 (70,456 Views)

Skype WiFi is a service with which you can use Skype credits to pay for a not-free wifi hotspot.   Airport Boingo hotspots, for example.

If you have free wifi available you don't need Skype WiFi.  You also don't need it if you're connecting via cellular data...3G, etc.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 12 (70,453 Views)

Great Thank you for responce and prompt reply, all ? answered :happy:
Ian59
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 12 (70,451 Views)

:(y):

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 12 (70,450 Views)

Just remember that using 3G data in another country (if you are travelling) can be extremely expensive. A lot of users turn off their 3G data on the iPhone when they leave their own country and just use WiFi abroad.

Check with your wireless carrier what the data roaming costs are before you go.

nik_dc
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 49
Message 9 of 12 (70,371 Views)

my online number expires in june this year. tried calling it and it wont connect. says number does not exist. Is this the kind of service one has to tolerate with online skype numbers?
mark_chang
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 25
Message 10 of 12 (70,261 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling