I thought skype was free

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

I thought skype was free

Downloaded the app on my ipad. When i try to make a call, it tells me Ihave to purchase credits. Its not free?
Posted from Apple iPad
Samlam
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 8 (7,226 Views)

Re: I thought skype was free

It is free if you call skype to skype.  You need credit or a subscription if calling landlines or mobiles.

If you found a post useful, please give Kudos. If it helped to fix your issue, mark it as a solution to help others.
Thank You!
Laptopnomad
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 140
Message 2 of 8 (7,197 Views)

Samlam wrote:
Downloaded the app on my ipad. When i try to make a call, it tells me Ihave to purchase credits. Its not free?

some Skype services such as Skype-to-Skype calls, conference calls, chat and group chat, 1-on-1 video calls are indeed free of charge. However, some services such as Skype-to-mobile/landline number, group video calls, voicemail, SMS, online number, etc requires credits or subscriptions.

The support/user guide section offers a mode detailed descriptions - https://support.skype.com/en/

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!

ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Skype-User
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 499
Message 3 of 8 (7,166 Views)

I am trying to skype to skype and it says I need to pay?  I thought this was free?

0 Kudos
Grenade_72
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 8 (6,969 Views)

Are you going through your skype app?  Have you accepted the person so you can place him in your contact list?  Let's say I want to call you on skype I have to first send you a message  for you to accept me as a skype contact. If you accept me I can call you for free as you are in my contact list or you can call me. Have you done this? I have never been charged for a skype to skype call, and I use it daily.

If you found a post useful, please give Kudos. If it helped to fix your issue, mark it as a solution to help others.
Thank You!
Laptopnomad
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 140
Message 5 of 8 (6,963 Views)

Agreed. I to make skype to skype calls, most of the time not in my contacts list because of what I do and I'm still not charged. confused. Can you provide a screen shot of what you are seeing so that we may assist further?
0 Kudos
marrie
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 6 of 8 (6,935 Views)

i know the other person has skype how do i call them not on their mobile, but from my skype to theirs

0 Kudos
Skypeaintfree
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 8 (6,490 Views)

Solution :happy:

Doretta
doretta
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 8 (4,356 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling