Calls to my cell phone

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Calls to my cell phone

Is it possible to have a phone number that anybody even in other countries can call via Skype and reach me on my cell phone if I am not at my computer?

Thanks

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

wbooth wrote:
You have been a great help, better than when I did a chat with Skype.

One more question. If this person has Skype access, wherever they are, can they try to contact me via Skype but it forwards to my cell number

Thanks!  Could you please flag one of my posts as a solution to your questions, or maybe give a kudo to it?   :wink: 

You can configure your Skype account to forward calls out to a phone number - or a list of phone numbers.  If you do not answer an incoming call after a certain period of time (the setting is accessible from the Skype program on a computer, not the mobile phone apps), Skype will then call out to the phone number or list of numbers.  This would be for incoming calls to an Online Number or directly to your Skype account name.  This is also something I make use of, since I am not able to be logged into Skype much of the time.  You would need to have some way to cover the cost of the forwarded calls to your mobile phone - Skype Credit, or a subscription covering calls to mobiles in whatever country your mobile number is from.

Using me as an example here.... I have 4 Online Numbers - in the USA, UK, Australia, and Mexico.  I have Call Forwarding set up to forward calls to my US mobile number (I live in Arizona).  I could use the US$ 2.99/month Unlimited USA & Canada subscription to cover the costs of the forwarded calls out to my mobile number when I'm not logged into Skype.  When I went to Australia last year, I bought a prepaid SIM with an Australian mobile number on it.  I configued my Skype account to forward calls to that Australian mobile number, and made sure to have Skype Credit to cover the few forwarded calls I received (I did not purchase a subscription covering calls to Australian mobiles, since I would only be in that country for 10 days).  When I returned to the States, I changed the Call Forwarding back to my US mobile number. 

You can put more than one number in the Call Forwarding setting.  Then Skype would ring all those numbers at once, and connect the caller to the first number that answers. 

Hope that helps!

Patrick

View solution in original post
wbooth
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 14 (3,150 Views)

Re: Calls to my cell phone

wbooth wrote:

Is it possible to have a phone number that anybody even in other countries can call via Skype and reach me on my cell phone if I am not at my computer?

Thanks

Yes, it is. It would be a combination of different Skype features, and many do what you are asking.

You can purchase an Online Number, which will allow callers to ring your Skype account.  If you have Skype Credit or a subscription to cover the costs of calling your cell phone, you can then set Call Forwarding on your Skype account to forward calls out to your cell phone.  This way, you get the opportunity to answer those calls with your Skype account when you are near your computer (or the Skype app on your iPhone).  If you're not logged into Skype, then you can get the calls on the iPhone's number.

You didn't mention where you are, and where your mobile number is located.  You can click on "Pay As You Go" and "Subscriptions" below, to see how much calls to your mobile number would cost.  Should you decide to do this, and purchase a monthly subscription to cover the costs of the forwarded calls to your mobile number, get the subscription first - then get the Online Number.  Once you have a subscription, there is a 50% discount on the cost of an Online Number.  Note that, for most countries, there aren't any subscriptions providing "unlimited" calling to mobile numbers, and subscriptions covering calls to mobile numbers generally cost more than those only covering calls to landline phones.  If you're in the USA or Canada, the subscription for those two countries would be the exception to this "rule", where calls to landline and mobile phones are covered.

Good luck!

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 674
Message 2 of 14 (3,120 Views)

Thanks you very much for your reply. Here is my main question. These calls will not be from any particular country it could be from all over. I assume since I am in the US I will get a US number. I think from what you are saying there will be long distance charges from the UK we will say to my number in the US.

If they get on Skype and make that call it will be FREE? Am I right?
0 Kudos
wbooth
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 14 (3,119 Views)

wbooth wrote:
Thanks you very much for your reply. Here is my main question. These calls will not be from any particular country it could be from all over. I assume since I am in the US I will get a US number. I think from what you are saying there will be long distance charges from the UK we will say to my number in the US.

If they get on Skype and make that call it will be FREE? Am I right?

You are not limited to purchasing a US number.  Only certain countries impose residency requirements when you are purchasing Skype Online Numbers. If you get a US number, then the caller would have to pay for the call from wherever they happen to be, to that US number.  If the callers are outside the US, then that is an international call.  Those calls could be free calls for your callers, if they are in the same area as your Online Number.  You would not be charged to receive those calls on your Skype account, wherever the callers happen to be. 

If you have people in the UK that would be calling you, you can get a UK number.  You can have up to 10 Online Numbers on your Skype account.  I have 4 on mine - the USA (in Arizona), the UK (in London's 020 area code), Australia (in Melbourne's 03 area code), and Mexico (Mexico City's 55 area code).  Click on "Online Number" below, and you can see the list of countries where Skype has Online Numbers. 

If someone gets on Skype and calls your Skype account name, that is a free call.  Skype-to-Skype calls are free for one-on-one chats, whether it is a voice call or a video call. 

---
Patrick

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

0 Kudos
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 4 of 14 (3,116 Views)

One more question. If this person has Skype access, wherever they are, can they try to contact me via Skype but it forwards to my cell number
0 Kudos
wbooth
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 14 (3,114 Views)

wbooth wrote:

Thanks!  Could you please flag one of my posts as a solution to your questions, or maybe give a kudo to it?   :wink: 

You can configure your Skype account to forward calls out to a phone number - or a list of phone numbers.  If you do not answer an incoming call after a certain period of time (the setting is accessible from the Skype program on a computer, not the mobile phone apps), Skype will then call out to the phone number or list of numbers.  This would be for incoming calls to an Online Number or directly to your Skype account name.  This is also something I make use of, since I am not able to be logged into Skype much of the time.  You would need to have some way to cover the cost of the forwarded calls to your mobile phone - Skype Credit, or a subscription covering calls to mobiles in whatever country your mobile number is from.

Using me as an example here.... I have 4 Online Numbers - in the USA, UK, Australia, and Mexico.  I have Call Forwarding set up to forward calls to my US mobile number (I live in Arizona).  I could use the US$ 2.99/month Unlimited USA & Canada subscription to cover the costs of the forwarded calls out to my mobile number when I'm not logged into Skype.  When I went to Australia last year, I bought a prepaid SIM with an Australian mobile number on it.  I configued my Skype account to forward calls to that Australian mobile number, and made sure to have Skype Credit to cover the few forwarded calls I received (I did not purchase a subscription covering calls to Australian mobiles, since I would only be in that country for 10 days).  When I returned to the States, I changed the Call Forwarding back to my US mobile number. 

You can put more than one number in the Call Forwarding setting.  Then Skype would ring all those numbers at once, and connect the caller to the first number that answers. 

Hope that helps!

Patrick

---
Patrick

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 14 (3,108 Views)

never mind I figured that one out. I loaded the app on my phone and it appears that when i get a Skype call it comes right to my phone. Fantastic
0 Kudos
wbooth
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 14 (3,107 Views)

wbooth wrote:
never mind I figured that one out. I loaded the app on my phone and it appears that when i get a Skype call it comes right to my phone. Fantastic

Yes.  If you run the Skype app on your iPhone, you can receive Skype calls (to an Online Number, or directly to your Skype account name) without needing to forward the call to another number.  Make sure your iPhone's data plan supports your usage, as exceeding a monthly data plan can be a costly matter.  Also, make sure to add the Skype app to the Notifications Center in the iPhone's Settings.  Enable a visual alert, and set all the other settings to ON, so that the Skype app can ring you when the app is running in the background.

---
Patrick

0 Kudos
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 8 of 14 (3,104 Views)

Thanks again
0 Kudos
wbooth
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 14 (3,102 Views)

Can't receive text message(no service in sweden) need to call from skype

[ Edited ]

My Cell Phone Has No Service In Sweden. How do I make a phone call using Skype, when they are asking to verify by sending me a text message on my cell phone?

EDIT : title case changed.

0 Kudos
rnrgavin
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 14 (2,825 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling