4.1 update : Unable to login if I choose to declin...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

4.1 update : Unable to login if I choose to decline.

So, the new update also includes a new skype "cloud" network for contacts, which  I wish to opt out of. It gives the option to decline or accept. Am I forced to accept, otherwise not use Skype Mobile? Seems a bit much to not allow me to decline and continue using the service. I was doing just fine before this update.

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

emgeandco wrote:
Beware - accepting the contacts requests will allow Skype to upload ALL your iPhone contacts, not just the Skype Contacts.
As moderator Kadri posted (thank you!), and as I am now able to confirm for myself, Skype does NOT upload the contacts stored in the Contacts list on the iPhone.  This poster is incorrect.  Only the contacts within the Skype app are stored with Skype.  I initially updated the Skype app on my iPod Touch last night.  Later in the evening, I did the same update on my iPhone 4S.  When I logged into the updated Skype app for the first time on my iPhone, I received the same pop-up advisory on the iPhone that I saw on the iPod.  I accepted it.  I do not store contacts in the iPod's Contacts list, but have about 60 contacts in the iPhone's Contacts list.  Those contacts are not showing up in the Skype app on either device this morning. 
Again, from my viewpoint, how Skype stores your Skype contacts doesn't appear to have changed.  All Skype is doing is advising you that the information is stored in the "cloud" - in Skype's servers, as it has done all along.  I understand the sensitivity when it comes to companies storing individuals' personal data, and especially those companies that want to sell or give that data to other companies, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this pop-up in the Skype app. 

View solution in original post
Necrogasm
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 31 (3,704 Views)

Re: 4.1 update : Unable to login if I choose to decline.

Necrogasm wrote:

So, the new update also includes a new skype "cloud" network for contacts, which  I wish to opt out of. It gives the option to decline or accept. Am I forced to accept, otherwise not use Skype Mobile? Seems a bit much to not allow me to decline and continue using the service. I was doing just fine before this update.

I just got the 4.1 update on my iPod Touch here at home, and saw the same pop-up after I logged in.  It looks like you have to accept that to continue into the app.  It appears to be a reminder about where your Skype contacts are stored - the same place they have always been stored. 

The contacts I initially entered with the Skype program years ago are accessible by the apps on my iPod Touch, iPhone, and Skype app on my Nokia N8.  I know they have been stored on the Internet, as I haven't entered Skype contacts using those mobile phones or the iPod.  The pop-up reminder may be a way to satisfy certain countries' laws and regulations regarding data storage by companies like Skype.

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 658
Message 2 of 31 (3,675 Views)

Beware - accepting the contacts requests will allow Skype to upload ALL your iPhone contacts, not just the Skype Contacts.
Posted from Apple iPhone
emgeandco
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 3 of 31 (3,663 Views)

Skype Version 4.1 on iPhone - I've upgraded to version 4.1 & now the Skype App insists that I allow them to upload ALL my Contacts to Skype (or it won't start). I have declined this request and now I cannot use the Skype App at all, unless I accept their request. This is goodbye Skype for me. Apple beware! Apple Users be warned.
Posted from Apple iPhone
emgeandco
Routine Adventurer
Message 4 of 31 (3,662 Views)

Agreed. The contacts I have in my iPhone are not the people I want connect to Skype, information wise. Otherwise I would add them myself. Again, there wasn't a problem before then update, why should we need to change now?

Necrogasm
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 31 (3,653 Views)

The message "Skype contacts are stored securely on Skype's network, so you can access them from all your devices" is regarding your Skype, not iPhone contacts.

As wd9ewk said, nothing has changed, contacts were also previously stored in Skype's network, so that you would be able to access them on different devices, only the messaging was added with the last update.
Kadri
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 220
Message 6 of 31 (3,643 Views)

emgeandco wrote:
As moderator Kadri posted (thank you!), and as I am now able to confirm for myself, Skype does NOT upload the contacts stored in the Contacts list on the iPhone.  This poster is incorrect.  Only the contacts within the Skype app are stored with Skype.  I initially updated the Skype app on my iPod Touch last night.  Later in the evening, I did the same update on my iPhone 4S.  When I logged into the updated Skype app for the first time on my iPhone, I received the same pop-up advisory on the iPhone that I saw on the iPod.  I accepted it.  I do not store contacts in the iPod's Contacts list, but have about 60 contacts in the iPhone's Contacts list.  Those contacts are not showing up in the Skype app on either device this morning. 
Again, from my viewpoint, how Skype stores your Skype contacts doesn't appear to have changed.  All Skype is doing is advising you that the information is stored in the "cloud" - in Skype's servers, as it has done all along.  I understand the sensitivity when it comes to companies storing individuals' personal data, and especially those companies that want to sell or give that data to other companies, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this pop-up in the Skype app. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 658
Message 7 of 31 (3,604 Views)

I have the same issue and am not going to accept, Skype what are you doing?
Posted from Apple iPhone
0 Kudos
Smconnell
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 31 (3,583 Views)

While this makes me feel better, why must I accept? Why must such a thing be forced? Shouldn't it be more accomidating for it to be something you opt for? I'm curious as to why we can't decline this, weather it be for better system cross-platform functionality or not, I'm wondering.

Necrogasm
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 31 (3,544 Views)

Giving permission to upload contacts will enable Skype to access your iPhone contacts too. If Skype choose only to upload Skype contacts at present, this does not mean they will notupload your other contacts later on. If you accept this request, it's too late, there is no way to revoke the permission. Why does using Skype app have to be conditional on this. Skype have my Skype contacts on their cloud already. 

Posted from Apple iPhone
emgeandco
Routine Adventurer
Message 10 of 31 (3,515 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling