video will not turn on during call

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

video will not turn on during call

Just placed a video call and was not able to get the video option to turn on. Each time I clicked on it the thumbnail window started to open and then the setting reverted to off. My contact was also unable to activate video from their end. I'm working with a Dell laptop and built in camera that works fine. Just completed video calls last week without problem. Any idea what's up?

gmarx
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 1 of 22 (10,661 Views)

Re: video will not turn on during call

I'm having the exact same problem. Tried reinstall, no dice. But encouraged that im not alone. Hopefully this is a new bug that will get noticed and be fixed.
sammytoyon
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 22 (10,617 Views)

Do you have this issue with all contacts or only with one?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6606
Message 3 of 22 (10,599 Views)

I've only tested it with one contact. We frequenty skype and until recently there was no problem. Also, no issues using gchat video. 

sammytoyon
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 22 (10,587 Views)

Same here - only happened with one person so far. Just completed a group video call using another Skype ID with the same computer and everything worked fine.

gmarx
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 5 of 22 (10,584 Views)

Same problem. Dit it all, but nothing works. PLEASE, I NEED A SOLUTION!

On facebook vcalling, is working :sad:
fran_becher
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 22 (10,513 Views)

I have the same problem. The video will immediately switch to "off" anytime I try to switch it on. It happened one week ago and again today, in the beginning of a call with the same person. I haven't tried video calling anyone else. Both me and the other person use macs (macbook here and an older mac at the other end). The problem seems to be with my macbook, since  I was able to video call the other person from a pc.

I would be so grateful for a solution.....

This has never happened before. Is it possible that the cause is the most recent Skpe update?

Mihaela1964
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 7 of 22 (10,439 Views)

I'm encountering the saem problem that the video on my Dell laptop doesn't stay active.   But it had worked before I did the recent Skype upgrade.  I see several other postings on the problem but no offers on a resolution.  Where to go for some tech help from Skype?

jerryhuels
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 22 (10,394 Views)

You can try to uninstall the currently installed 6.2 version and install the previous 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6606
Message 9 of 22 (10,388 Views)

@ruwim,
The above installer is only for Windows, isn't it? Would you know whether anything similar exists for Mac OS?
Mihaela1964
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 22 (10,370 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling