hey, i have used skype before, and i found this problem after i signed out before i updated, but whenever i want to sign in. i takes forever to sign. i know's not a wireless poblem as i am attempting to use skype about 2M away from the wireless. and it still takes ages to fully sighn in...
I am having the same issue, it just started about 30 minutes ago.
I am on the latest version (220.127.116.11). Here is what happens (pick any, they all happen and I cannot find a pattern):
- Skype never logs in (I will wait 10 minutes and just get the little animated circle) and then I need to go into task manager and kill the process (right-clicking and choosing QUIT does not work, because if I do, and try to relaunch, it says "Can't open Skype. You are already signed in on this computer. Please sign out and try again.")
- Skype never launches (I starte it in my Start menu, but nothign appears). Again I need to go into task manager and kill the process.
- Skype will login, but no messages are sent or received (for sending, it jsut shows the little circle that it's not sent yet, and nothing is being received). I cannot call out, it shows ringing on my part, and then I cannot end the call (nothing happens). If someone calls me, and I try to answer, it locks up my Skype.
I have restarted and restarted and even uninstalled and reinstalled Skype, to no avail.
Try first to reset all Skype settings.
Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.
N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Unfortunately, that did not work.. However, it appears that "something" has changed on my laptop, becuase I am also unable to RDP or join a GoToMeeting now, as well. Email works (including Outlook), HTTP and HTTPS work, but these other communication systems are not connecting, along with Skype (which now will not connect at all).
No changes were made to my laptop for quite a while, so I will investigate this since it just suddenly occured while I was working. I will reply when I find the issue, in case it will help anyone else.
Hi All, I wanted to provide an update to my issue.
1. After having Skype suddenly stop workign on my laptop yesterday, I ran a full virus scan, full malware scan (2 scans, to be sure) and then rebooted and did a pre-boot scan of every file on every drive in my laptop. All 3 scans were clean.
2. The boot scan took most of the night so the laptop had turned gone to sleep because of the idle time. This morning I woke up the computer and logged into Windows.
3. I performed my daily routine, which constist of
A - Starting Skype on my laptop
B - Establishing an RDP connection to a remote system (this remains active all day for me, every day)
C - Started Skype on the remote computer
NOTE: This is my daily routine for the past 16 months.
I worked normally, and Skype was workign great for IM on both systems. Then, someone tried to call me and, as usual, I went to answer on my host. This is when the issues began again.
I was unable to click any button on the call popup (answer, reject). I was able to click the small X in the corner to close the popup. Then, my host Skype locked up, and I had to close it with Task Manager.
I started Skype again, and this time instead of the long time in the login screen, it went directly into Skype and at the top left, the small icon that indicates status (Online, Busy, etc.), it was gray and animated, showing it was attempting to login. This happened for maybe 5 minutes or so, then logged in.
The person tried to call me back, and the exact same thing happened with the popup (could only click the X to close it). Then I had to kill Skype again with Task Manager, and restarted Skype. This time, Skype stayed at the login screen for several minutes (maybe 3 or 4), then logged in.
I was then able to call out, and had 2 successful calls. But, then someone tried to call me again, and again, the same issue and same routine as before (delay at login screeen). But, this time, Skype faled to work on my host. It would not update any of the chats unless I terminated my RDP session, at which time all chats on the host would immediately update.
NOTE: Skype running on the remote desktop always remained on and always worked fine for IM this entire time.
Now I have turned off the remote computer, and am unable to login to Skype on my host. It sits at the login screen with the animated circle (been that way for past 15 minutes).
Hope this helps anyone at Skype that can assist in resolving this.
I have the same problem. i sign in and it just keeps saying 'signing in', but nothing happens? it's just happend recently. nothings wrong with my laptop. i really need skype though for very important issue's. Any ideas of how i could fix this? would be a great help thanks.
I have tried downloading it again, updating the laptop. nothing. please help