skype unable to connect

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

skype unable to connect

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me out here...

I have been using skype for quite a few years without any problems. Until about 4 weeks ago my skype icon which usually connects and loads up for me as soon as I turn on the laptop, stopped connecting. I was prompted with the skype sign in page, which I did, but still without success. The Skype icon is still on my toolbar, but when I hover over it it just tells me skype is not signed in. When I try to sign in, I get a message saying skype cannot connect. I have internet and can surf as usual, but cannot for the life of me figure out why skype is not working!

I thought it was a firewall, so I went through the steps you have listed on the help page. No success. I uninstalled, reinstalled prob 3 times, still with no success.. I tried logging in to my computer at work, and no problem, I can get into my account.

I am using Windows Vista, with 2.0GHz, 4Gb of storage and have windows defender and Malaware bytes for security....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

g4pilut
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

As a first step I'd suggest installing the current beta version, 5.7.0.123.  You can download the installer here:  www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta

View solution in original post
linda56
Casual Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

wow......turned off the firewall and then skype came on.  then I turned on the firewall again and all is well........so for those that have McAfee try this

View solution in original post
femur6
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 68 (19,953 Views)

Re: skype unable to connect

As a first step I'd suggest installing the current beta version, 5.7.0.123.  You can download the installer here:  www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 924
Message 2 of 68 (19,932 Views)

oh and I didnt get to do anything about it at the time, as I flew home for Christmas and did not bring my laptop - hence the delayed request for assistance! ...plus I really thought I could fix it myself!
femur6
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 68 (19,929 Views)

ok -  i ll try that - Im assuming I should uninstall the one I have first, Yah?

femur6
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 68 (19,927 Views)

It's not necessary to uninstall first.  Just install the beta over what you already have installed.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 68 (19,925 Views)

ahhh awesome!!! That worked! Brilliant! Thank you very much! :happy: :happy:

femur6
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 68 (19,916 Views)

:(y):

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 68 (19,913 Views)

Did not work for me.
lynncarter033
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 68 (19,356 Views)

Did Not work.

lynncarter033
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 68 (19,356 Views)

I have Windows 7 and I've tried deleting and reloading Skype and have also tried this method of downloading "Setupcomplete" nothing is working.

The minute I dial a call and the other line picks up, the call is dropped. I have checked my sound device/speaker and the bars are working on my computer but do not seem to be picking up on  Skype. This just happened two days ago and nothing was downloaded/uploaded, no crashes. Basically no changes to my desk top when this happened. HELP!! I've missed two days of work on the computer because of it.

lynncarter033
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 68 (19,354 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling