skype server

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: skype server

[ Edited ]

No, I am sugegsting that you use another Skype name and if needed purchase an "Online Number" ("If you are going to have people calling in from a telephone") and have that Skype name follow these instructions after creating a Skype Group chat with people who will be in that conference call.

This way that Skype name will be hosting the Conference call and people in the Group Chat will have a button they can click to join the conference call at anytime and that Skype name will auto-answer all calls and auto-add those calls to the conference call automatically :

Using The /golive Chat Command for Instant Conference Calls In Group Chats

Send this chat message into the chat in question using the API ("It can be done using the Skype GUI as well"):

/golive skypename1,skypename2,telephonenumber1 myconference

skypename1, skypename2 and telephonenumber1 will be in the conference call to start.

Anyone else in that chat will see a join button to join the conference call.

The chat message won't work in a single chat, it needs to be sent into a muti-chat to work.

Anyone in a muti-chat chat can do this, not just the creator, masters or helpers.

If there is already one golive running in a multi-chat, then another one won't work until the Skype name of the first /golive command ends the sudo conference call they have started.

They can see that sudo conference call in their active calls using the Skype GUI ("If they sent the /golive into the chat").

You could simply place the link into the chat, and it will not create a join buttin in that chat, people in the chat would need to click on it to join the conference call:

If you don't want anyone in the conference call at the start of the conference call, but you want everyone to see the join button, just do:

/golive myconference

NOTE: myconference is basically a Token ("It could be anything not just myconference, it could be 123") that will create a conference call making the host of that conference call the Skype name that sent the chat message into the chat. It allows you as the host to know when you receive these inbound calls what they are for.

You can also create email and web page links that will join that same conference call as well, for those not in that chat by posting the message below in other chats, on a web page or in emails as a link, you need to include the Skype name of who will be hosting the conference call in this case, because this link is outside of the chat, so anyone who receives this link via email, from a web page, in another chat will be connected to the proper host:

If you as the host answer another call or make another call besides hosting this conference call, the join button in that chat will go away.

Example: You have a weekly conference call every Monday at 10:00am. You do this in the chat where the conferene call will take place at 9:50am:

/golive ourweeklymeeting

Now everyone in the chat will see a Join button and can click it to join the conference call.

The day before you send an email to everyone saying, hey don't forget about our meeting at 10:00am on Monday, click this link at 10:00am to join the conference call:

At 9:30am you send Bob a chat message "Hey Bob don't forget about our conference call at 10:00am, click the link to join at about 9:55am skype:YourSkypeNameHere?call&token=ourweeklymeeting

NOTE: if you use the /golive command in a chat the Skype client will auto-answer and auto-join any calls for that token conference call if the sudo conference call for that token is still pending. Otherwise you will need to answer the first call.

If you use the link instead say in a chat, email or web page and not the /golive command in the chat, you as the host will need to answer the first call for that token and all other calls for that token will be auto-answered and auto-joined to that token conference call.

There is good reason for this, someone could click on a link in an old email while you are in another conference call using a different token. You would not want to auto-answer and auto-join them to the current conference call.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1615
Message 11 of 18 (1,734 Views)

that golive part sounds nice. now, i would like to understand skype technicals a little bit now.

so 5 person conversation. person A,B,C,D,E.

A = creator

when any person other than the creator speaks, let's say B speaks, how does traffic flow? B -> (A,C,D,E) or B -> A -> (C,D,E). Because a "server" as I once thought, would be pretty useless if it's the earlier.

0 Kudos
biatche
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 15
Message 12 of 18 (1,728 Views)

[ Edited ]

Assuming that you have some kind of access to this server, be it remote access or otherwise, you could in fact add/remove people in a Skype group chat, and do the /golive command so that they could simply join the conference call by clicking the button in the chat window.

I have no idea if you have remote access to this server that would allow you to see the Skype client window(s) on that server and enter text into the chat window for that Skype name and Skype client running there?

If you don't, it would be easy to set that up.

0 Kudos
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 13 of 18 (1,726 Views)

I do have full access to the "server" but I've just come to the understanding that skype is p2p and that would kinda ruin the whole server plan really.

Thanks for all the replies so far by the way, but mind answering my last question regarding skype's protocol? Like I said, if it's b -> (a,c,d,e) rather than b -> a -> (c,d,e), the point of a server is kinda useless.
0 Kudos
biatche
Casual Adventurer
Message 14 of 18 (1,719 Views)

[ Edited ]

Skype being P2P would not stop you from using the server to host a conference call using this method.

Using the Golive command in a chat window, makes the sender of that chat message the host automatically of any created conference call when someone clicks on the Conference call button in the chat, or uses a link from a web page, email or in a chat message for that conference call if the token in that link is the same token id and the Skype name of that link is the same Skype name

0 Kudos
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 15 of 18 (1,716 Views)

i've been using /golive from the server and we can just press the join call anytime. however, when the last person leaves the conversation, the call ends and we can no longer "join". there a way to remain live, well, forever?

0 Kudos
biatche
Casual Adventurer
Message 16 of 18 (1,702 Views)

Haven't had a reply for a while. What's been working well for me, is /golive. What hasn't been working well is, when the last person in the group hangs up, the session ends, which has to be manually awakened by /golive.

There's a misnomer that skype is p2p, but from what I've tested, it's still pretty server-client based, except, the server is the person who hosts/golive the session. The quality of the session had been better after running on my so called "Server". It is also true that skype consumes little bandwidth, but true only in countries with blessed internet. It still pushes the upload bandwidth of those with poor connection.

So now... is there some kind of way i could easily remotely make the "server" /golive.... or somehow stay alive even when the last user leaves the session.

0 Kudos
biatche
Casual Adventurer
Message 17 of 18 (1,646 Views)

The only method to do this would be by using some kind of public API created application to monitor this and resend the /golive command back into the chat in question.

0 Kudos
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 18 of 18 (1,640 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling